A sad passing to note

Moderator: jimothy_183

tacticalguy

A sad passing to note

Post by tacticalguy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:47 pm

On April 9, 2021 my girlfriend of 23 years and the love of my life, shook me awake and asked me to call an ambulance for her because she said that she couldn't breathe. Knowing how bad her White Coat syndrome is and her general dislike of doctors, I knew it was serious. I called the ambulance, they showed up and loaded her into the back. I watched them assess her and start a breathing treatment of Albuterol through the window. After 15 minutes, they pulled away, headed to the nearest hospital, which is only 5 minutes away. Unknowing of the true seriousness of the incident, I calmly went in, dressed and put some clothes in a bag for her before heading over. When I arrived, I waited for 90 minutes before going back with a doctor who took me into a waiting room and started closing all of the doors. I've given patient families bad news when I worked as a paramedic, I know how it's done. Red flags were up. He told me that when she had arrived at the hospital, she was in full arrest, pulse-less and non-breathing. That they got her back after 3-4 minutes but, she was critically ill. I'm going to save you the trouble of reading the rest of the story. Suffice to say that I was so positive that she was going to pull through. I saw her lab values come back better, her urine output restarted, they successfully remover the Impellor pump and her heart was doing it's own thing. Death would not be cheated, though. On April 15, at 0646, she gave up the fight. She had been under heavy sedation since they had brought her back and besides a few minutes where I was able to hold her hand as she was squeezing mine, before going to the Cath Lab, she wasn't conscious. She passed peacefully, with no struggle, as I held her hand and told her how much I loved her and shared Deb memories with her. This has all been a tremendous shock.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Return to “Off-Topic”