Creeping Open a Door

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Creeping Open a Door

Post by Ryan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:29 am

Is it applicable to slowly creep open a door during a stealth situation? That is open it on small angles to see into and clear parts of the room before entry. When is it acceptable to begin entry and is it too dangerous in terms of dealing with a fatal funnel - is it better to push and step back or push and go rather than creep it open?

Incremental/partial opening or prying as opposed to fluid or full/complete opening. Usually happens to slip a grenade or flashbang within the room. Closing the door afterwards allows the blast wave to bounce off the enclosed room and bounce back--more pressure, more problem for the bad guy.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: Creeping Open a Door

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm

That would depend on the equipment and support that I have available to me and the construction of the structure that I'm clearing. Can I 'scope under the door before attempting to open it or is the frame too tight? Do I have any thermal imaging equipment so that I can get a look/see into the room? If I can avoid opening a door blind, I'd prefer to. If I'm attempting a stealth operation, I would need that kind of equipment.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

seal236

Post by seal236 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:42 am

Uncompromised, dark, no equipment. Yes you can 'creep' open a door, and then begin your pie. Why give the game away by a hard throw that bounces off the wall at 0200?

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:48 am

seal236 wrote:Uncompromised, dark, no equipment. Yes you can 'creep' open a door, and then begin your pie. Why give the game away by a hard throw that bounces off the wall at 0200?
Exactly but, we're also talking about a slow, deliberate entry and clear. I'm moving as quiet as possible.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 am

Until you hear the creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek of the door and your face goes red from the embarrassing noise the door just made, enough to wake up an elephant. I've always been wary of creeping a door with my support hand still attached to it, always preferred opening and pushing it then having the weapon up at the ready.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:03 pm

The not knowing if the door will squeak as you push it open is a gut churner. Some have advocated staying completely clear and mirroring (in this case, the IR spy eye) around the doorway prior. to entry. That just seems to invite the receipt of a grenade or IED into the hallway, to me. Just my opinion, though.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”