Trainability

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Trainability

Post by Ryan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 am

How do you know if someone has good learning habits and is trainable? Especially for complex tasks.
For example with people who may say go through a Basic CQB course but could be skeptical pushing it any further.

Trainability defined: capable of being trained.

Such is assessed in Special Forces selection processes where you will learn highly complex and often highly stressful environment factors such as exams, knowing if you fuck up you'll get someone killed and so forth. That often requires a vigorous attitude, personal and emotional resilience, and a high degree of adaptability.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: Trainability

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Well, as I had said before, I learned how to perform all of the mechanics of CQB to a high degree without actually understanding the theory behind it for a year or two. I hit my marks perfectly and executed on command. When I started teaching it, I performed the same way. I was highly trainable. The issue for me was when smart SWAT recruits in other countries asked WHY we did things and I didn't have a better answer than, "we do them this way because that's the best way." As I had also stated, I did educate myself, I did learn the basis behind WHY. I feel that that's when I became a real trainer and mentor. Because then, I actually understood how to modify techniques to fit different scenarios.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:41 am

So going beyond the set gold standard you feel gave you a better outlook on exactly what you are performing rather than simply doing it (like a robot)?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:20 am

Yup.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Return to “Training, General Discussions”