Civilian preparations and training tips for swat

Moderator: jimothy_183

Civilian preparations and training tips for swat

Postby Iamsheepdog » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 pm

I have made a few post on my goals with law enforcement and getting into a federal level spec ops team like BORTAC and I am just looking to see what those have to say about what I can do before getting into law enforcement such as training, specific workouts and drills, and just someone's personal thoughts that wouldn't mind to contact me through pm to get more info about me and my goals on a more one on one basis
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"- Sun Tzu
Iamsheepdog

Re: Civilian preparations and training tips for swat

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Be carefull what you wish for.

I started in the military, switched a few branches and saw the world. Back home they couldn't re-use me another time because human suffering eats you from the inside. Then I did several years in the private security consulting, but that wasn't the job for me. 4 months in the dust, following 8 months to drink and forget...

Now I'm back employed with Defense(6yrs), and working in a mixed police/military special interventions unit. We do high risk warrants, counter terrorism, and organised crime.

I believe it isnt hard as a rookie to get into a county response team, but federal level isn't (obviously) achievable for everyone.

It takes 4-8 years of frontline experience for example to get contracted by the major security firms. It takes at least 10 years of policework or military work to serve in the few top tier groups my country has. If you mentally survive that, and still qualify for a top tier unit you are special.

My point is: Don't plan your carreer for the fastest succes at the highest level. It doesn't work that way. Everybody wants to be XXXX or XXXX unit members, but the road is long and hard, the pay is crap, and the only compliments you'll ever get will be in debriefing rooms.
Breacher01

Postby Iamsheepdog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:31 pm

I agree with you all the way here. As yes time is a big factor and those who surpass that are the few but the mentality you have going in has a lot of the outcome and if I can be one of those few I'm going to go for it. As far as what kind of person you become or where you end up is life and we all have a different story but don't know until it happens. Federal may not work out for me but I'm my opinion it doesn't mean I can't go for it so I'm the meantime il be preparing to climb as far as I can and may end up liking county level HRT or state level but again only the future knows.
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"- Sun Tzu
Iamsheepdog

Postby RikiTiki » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Iamsheepdog, hello I might be able to help out a little...
I' m on a federal (3 letter) agency team. The biggest hurdle we see, and I know almost ALL other Fed Teams have the same issue, is lack of casework. Let's use the fake example of the Bureau of land, Sea, and Air. To qualify for their team you must have prior experience somewhere (state, local, military); then you need 5 years within the agency itself to learn how they operate....the catch is ITS ONLY CASEWORK.....in other words, you have to learn how to put folks in jail per the jurisdiction of the agency. Then you can qualify for the team. For my agency, the first interview for new guys trying out for our SRT is how many cases did you work in the last few years? Dispositions? How many warrants affidavits did you write? How many field office level warrants did you serve? Etc. the gung ho "shooters" "gun nut" dudes that only want to eventually get on the team rarely make it !
RikiTiki

Postby Breacher01 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:03 am

I know of no country where you can choose CQB/High Risk Warrants or any other special interventions as a carreer path, the road is long, and very, very few can do the job. You have to be mentally stable, knowledged, physicly fit and have a spotlesss carreer. You can choose a job, but you can't choose to be the one in a hundred to do it.

The above is true, depending on nation etc.

My unit is made up of policemen and millitary personel, and because I had an extensive military background my commanders did most of the paperwork for me. At least then, now my days are spent with at least 1,5h of paperwork, and thats after verbal debriefing. one good thing is we can only submit post-op paperwork after 24h, because the content changes slightly after some rest. Everything we mention right after a mission in debriefing however is noted in detail by the officer debriefing.

But in my unit your paperwork before joining and when in the unit doesn't really make much difference on your rating. We don't want a team of historians, but the final details make a hell of a difference when a suspect is due for court. Suspects have been set free for the most bizarre conclusions made on our written after-action reports.

It seems when you arent the judge anymore(like in the millitary) paper pushing is mandatory and unavoidable. I which we had a judge on our team...
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:05 am

RikiTiki wrote:Iamsheepdog, hello I might be able to help out a little...
I' m on a federal (3 letter) agency team. The biggest hurdle we see, and I know almost ALL other Fed Teams have the same issue, is lack of casework. Let's use the fake example of the Bureau of land, Sea, and Air. To qualify for their team you must have prior experience somewhere (state, local, military); then you need 5 years within the agency itself to learn how they operate....the catch is ITS ONLY CASEWORK.....in other words, you have to learn how to put folks in jail per the jurisdiction of the agency. Then you can qualify for the team. For my agency, the first interview for new guys trying out for our SRT is how many cases did you work in the last few years? Dispositions? How many warrants affidavits did you write? How many field office level warrants did you serve? Etc. the gung ho "shooters" "gun nut" dudes that only want to eventually get on the team rarely make it !

"Truer words..." Spot on, Riki. I said the same thing in the other thread that he started about the same topic. I left out all of the depressing facts that you included, however. 8)
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:39 pm

In my own observations these careers tend to choose you, rather then you choosing them. Its a long road, with many sidetracks.

For instance when I joined the army getting my drivers licence was my main goal. I hoped to become a Marine or KCT(commando) someday. Never have I imagined ending up in basically a police/swat unit. I failed to make it into the commandos btw.
Breacher01

Return to Training, General Discussions