Religion and Warfare

Use this forum to chat abort anything else related to CQB.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Religion and Warfare

Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Does it have its place?

I have read a few associated independent studies that state that religious people 'cope' better during high duress situations than those that either do not believe or do not have a strong spiritual backing to that belief (i.e. it was simply a family tradition or setting).
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: Religion and Warfare

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:14 am

I've known some people who just...broke and they were quite active in their faith. I've also seen a couple who were just very "centered" and handled things quite equably.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Alfa47

Post by Alfa47 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:11 pm

First, we must look at the religion. If it's some hippie shit, then yeah, we all know what would happen. They would be horrible.
If it's a religion like, say, Orthodox Christianity, which actually supports fighting as long as it is defensive, yeah, they would probably fight much better than many others. Because, over that, the idea of death in Orthodoxy is not a bad one, it's the opposite - you die anyways, you can't avoid it, and the sooner you die, the faster you get to know how God looks like.
If it's the Muslim religion, I'd say that it would be similar.
Paganism and Satanism, I'd say that they wouldn't be the ones that I'd choose for advanced techniques, but for first line infantry, I think they'd do a really great job.

I'd say that it depends on the religion, how much the person believes in it and if he has any proof.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:52 am

What about if that religion applauds martyrdom--is this better or worse for a religious fighting force? I.e. would it just lead to 'suicide tactics' more so than actual tactics?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Alfa47

Post by Alfa47 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:08 am

Ryan wrote:What about if that religion applauds martyrdom--is this better or worse for a religious fighting force? I.e. would it just lead to 'suicide tactics' more so than actual tactics?
Depends. I'd say that people would fight without a fear of death if that's the case, which can lead to them overcoming many mental obstacles that are often encountered during combat.

Return to “General Discussions”