Combat Proven: what does it mean?

Use this forum to chat abort anything else related to CQB.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

jimothy_183
Military

Combat Proven: what does it mean?

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:09 pm

The term "combat proven" gets thrown around quite a lot when talking about things like tactics and gear. But with the way it is usually used I don't think everyone is on the same page so to speak on the definition of combat proven. Some people seem to think that combat proven means that it worked once in combat and was successful, others will say that it is only "combat proven" if it has gone through various experiments to test its feasibility.

What I think though is that the answer to the question of what this term means can be found in the science community with their terms of hypothesis, theories and laws, additional link. Other terms to look at would be Axioms and Theorems.

So with this in mind perhaps what people are referring to could be renamed as a combat axiom or combat theory? I don't have the answers so perhaps one of you do.

Discuss.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

tacticalguy

Re: Combat Proven: what does it mean?

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:02 am

To my mind, "combat proven" refers to some tactic or gear that has been used in combat on multiple occasions with overwhelmingly good results.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:02 am

Hm, while that may be the general consensus on it's definition, what about tactics or gear that only seemed to have worked on several separate occasions because the user(s) got lucky every time?

A point made by Trevor from HTS in one of his articles is that the "traditional" method which was thought to be "combat proven" was anything but in the face of an armed and determined BG.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 pm

jimothy_183 wrote:Hm, while that may be the general consensus on it's definition, what about tactics or gear that only seemed to have worked on several separate occasions because the user(s) got lucky every time?

A point made by Trevor from HTS in one of his articles is that the "traditional" method which was thought to be "combat proven" was anything but in the face of an armed and determined BG.
Thus, the phrase "overwhelmingly good results", sir. Many weapons are "combat-tested", they've been to combat, some, multiple times. Combat proven, to me, means that the gear or tactic has been combat tested on many occasions and not been found wanting. The Abrams tank is combat proven. So is the M-60E3 that the SAW was intended to replace. That's how I define it. "Vertical Envelopment" has been combat tested and found not to be a preferred method of delivering mass amounts of troops onto a battlefield. Reference WWII for those arguments.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Return to “General Discussions”