Chefs vs Cooks

Use this forum to chat abort anything else related to CQB.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

jimothy_183
Military

Chefs vs Cooks

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:25 pm

This thread is related to this one. However this is to compare two of something rather than analyse what constitutes one thing.

I first heard this "idea",if you will, from my martial arts master who differenciates between a martial artist and a practitioner of martial arts.

He uses the analogy of a chef and a cook. A cook is like a monkey: monkey see, monkey do. If you teach a monkey something all it will do is imitate it, perhaps it can imitate it to near perfection but it is still an imitation none the less. For example a cook can be taught a recipe but all that cook will do is imitate the actions and replicate the end result. A chef on the other hand is a talented individual who can analyse and understand things beyond that of a cook, they will study the art and science of their trade and can solve unique problems by creating a unique solution. A chef can create something that can amaze even when the odds are stacked against them.

Using this analogy you can see the difference between a martial artist and a practitioner of one. Some of the differences are creativity, a solid understanding of the relevant principles, knowledge of both art and science of the trade. Haley's phrase "thinkers before shooters" is pretty much what embodies this idea.

Sometimes what I see in people who are just "cooks" of their trade is sloth, especially intellectual sloth but that is not true of all "cooks" as I said to be a "chef" requires a talent for the trade and not everyone is supposed to be a chef, or even just cooking. Of course this goes into the "nature vs nurture" debate.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Re: Chefs vs Cooks

Post by Ryan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 pm

A Chef will study food sciences which is a fucking headache of a course!!! :lol:

Welcome to natural selection.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Ryan wrote:A Chef will study food sciences which is a fucking headache of a course
Not necessarily. A true chef will have an aptitude for science relating to the trade and as such should be able to absorb the information without too much trouble. Get a chef to study electrical engineering and it's a different story.

Natural selection I guess.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 am

Interesting topic, Jimothy. I've heard the analogy phrased differently but, with the same outcome. My first aikido instructor, from 4 to 12, described my grasp of the art as being workman-like. He said that I might achieve a certain status but, that I would never excel and be a leader in aikido. I suppose he was correct, I was always capable and competent. I wasn't a visionary, though. Once I started integrating other arts into my repertoire I started to "see" the inherent failings of this or that technique. It only progressed as I delved farther and farther into all of the other areas. It helped me in aikido. Now, I'm considered "talented". I spend very little time teaching aikido anymore, other than as a technique here and there in part of a wholly different combat system.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 am

Good point, it reminds me of another thought I had about this topic. I believe that if someone had the motivation and willpower they can learn a skill or trade that they are not "good at" (i.e: not their talent) to at least a basic level to competency but the guy with the talent or genius will always out do them.

I've already posted this here but it's also very relevant to this.
http://www.futurejarheads.org/eliteunitwannabees.htm wrote:
Many who make it into these elite units are naturally gifted people the same way many who make it into professional sports are naturally gifted athletes. You have to excel in all aspects of what they are looking for and this is hard to do. I know we all think we are badd asses, but lets be realistic in what we can actually do in life. Ask yourself this question: "Do you really think you have what it takes, or is this just a phase of wanting to be cool.?" And be honest when answering this question.

EXAMPLE:
In high school many of us who play sports think we are good enough to become college athletes and even pro athletes. That is a good way to think, but at the end of the day 99 percent of us have no real chance of making it. No matter how hard we work out and no matter how motivated we are, we will never become pro athletes because we have no natural talent. The same concept applies to making it into these elite units in most cases. Just because you work out and work your ass off for a few years does not mean you will even stand a chance to get into those units. Just because you played HS sports and were good does not mean you will make it into these units. Just because you take MMA classes and can swim doesn't mean you will make it. The physical part is just one part of many to getting accepted into these prestigious units.

If you are a teenager aged 17 or older then you should know right now if you actually have what it takes or if you are just going through a phase. Be very honest with yourself. It takes a lot more then running a perfect PFT to make it into these units. Being a PT stud is just one part of the whole picture. You do not just wake up one day and decide you want to be in special ops or any elite unit. You have to be destined and you sort of have to be born to play the part. And believe it or not, you actually have to use your brain and you must have common sense. Plus being mature and responsible and very self-driven is a huge key to getting into these units.
Source

And another good quote:
Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 - 1860) wrote:Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Return to “General Discussions”