Writing a Book On CQB For Civilians (One Man & Team Tactics)

Use this forum to chat abort anything else related to CQB.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Dramatikk

Writing a Book On CQB For Civilians (One Man & Team Tactics)

Post by Dramatikk » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:58 pm

What subjects should this book cover, and what should the different chapters look like? I've tried, but its not easy to filter out what is necessary and what is not necessary for civilians to know about building searches ...

I am simply asking for tips on book structuring.

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

Ryan

Re: Writing a Book On CQB For Civilians (One Man & Team Tact

Post by Ryan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:01 am

Introduction to tactics and philosophy, which should be generalized and not specifically only Close Quarters but should introduce the reader to thought processes. Steer them clear of civilian mindsets and thought patterns. I can argue with guys over H2H and the use of knives say in CQC, where it MAY happen -- These guys can spit out a LOT of shit but if they came across that situation they would be dead, instead you should teach attributes and humble abilities such as openness to new ideas.

Individual training, I haven't seen a book that includes a 'training regime', like you get in bodybuilding books. They are quite interesting... That would be good to see for a tactical book. Civilians have to build it up.

The basics. This is a corner, a corner is bad. You have to teach them baseline up, from what they think they are aware of - really make them aware of it. For instance when you teach CQB at first you see tardholes stopping in the doorway, you teach them about the fatal funnel -- throw in a fact or a story and the attitude is more aware; they stop doing it and tell others off from doing it, passing on the information. Because of this as well, the information should be WORTH it... no 'let us teach a controversial topic with little structural or pure data'. Lots and lots of what not, what to, what you might want to.

Ways to analyze -> interpret -> create an appropriate response.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:47 am

Is there something wrong with The Tactical Advantage? To me it seems like it's a rather comprehensive and well structured manual for civilian purposes albeit a bit generic in terms of target audience when it comes to the actual content of each chapter.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:27 am

jimothy_183 wrote:Is there something wrong with The Tactical Advantage? To me it seems like it's a rather comprehensive and well structured manual for civilian purposes albeit a bit generic in terms of target audience when it comes to the actual content of each chapter.
There is absolutly nothing wrong with "The Tactical Advantage", by Gabe Suarez, its a great book. I Just wanted to try write something of my own just for kicks, but I find it very hard to structure the book.

By the way, thanks for the tips, Ryan!

Last edited by Dramatikk on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 am

Just for kicks? :lol: Ok then I guess, if it was because you thought it was something that had to be done I would have told you that you would be reinventing the wheel.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:50 am

I think that Ryan made some very good points. I, too, think that Gabe Suarez's book was very good. I picked it up when I went into security and back to work as a tactical instructor. It has a lot of good information, true. It's not really structured for the first time civilian though, in my mind at least. It felt more like a tactical instructor teaching a basic class to either Academy graduates or the first two weeks of SWAT school.
If I was a civilian reading a book on CQB?
I'd want to know why?
Why do you have to make entry when you could just surround the house and wait the people out?
Why do you have the number of people that you do on an entry team?
Why do you need a sniper over-watch team?
What kind of psychology goes into the decision to make entry?
Rather than entering through the door, why not jump through every window at the same time?
Those are all questions that I would think civilians new to CQB would also want to know.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Work in Progress -
House Searches

Foreword (About the author)

I. Introduction (What is CQB? What topics will this book cover? Who will be able to read and learn from this book?)

II. Mental Preparation & Mindset (Am I ready for this? Will I become a social outcast if I kill an intruder? What is considerd self defense and what is considered murder? How will my body respond to a life or death scenario? etc ... )

III. Close Quartes Battle Fundamentals (Principles of CQB, dynamic & deliberate entries, etc ... )

IV. Movement Outside The House (Cover & concealment, avoid walking in front of windows, do I enter the house by window or through door? etc ... )

V. Read & React, aka Initiative Based Tactics (What is IBT? verbal & non-verbal communication in IBT, flexible CQB system that follows no predetermed plan, it is quickly put into action, etc ... )

VI. Room entry (Path of least resistance, push & pull doors, center fed & corner fed rooms, hard corner & deep corner, room clearing techniques, furniture & other oddities, points of domination, primary & secondary searches, etc ... )

VII. Hallway Movement (Types of hallways, hallway layouts, staggered doors & opposing doors, the different types of formations, wide & narrow hallways, etc ... )

VIII. Clearing Stairs (Types of stairs, open & closed stairs, moving up & moving down stairs, types of clearing methods, etc ... )

IX. Casualty Extraction

X. Low-Light Engagements (Paint the room with light, avoid back light yourself and others, keep in mind that light attract bullets, how eyes react on light, and fight with light considerations, muzzle flashes, etc ... )

XI. First Aid & Tactical Medicine

XII. Gunfight Aftermath (What happened in there? Am I a bad person? Did I do something wrong, or could this have been prevented? Will life be the same, can I now move on with myself? What is trauma? etc ... )

XIII.
Any comments, tips or things that people would like to add?

EDIT: I do not copyright this material, so please feel free to steal this book structure if you like it.

Return to “General Discussions”