Consistency vs Effeciency

Use this forum to chat abort anything else related to CQB.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jimothy_183
Military
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Consistency vs Effeciency

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 am

This topic is somewhat similar to my other thread but not exactly the same.

Definitions:
http://www.magpuldynamics.com/mission.html wrote:

Efficiency

Efficiency in speed. The control and manipulation of a weapon system and one's body, at the absolute limits of an individual's skill, while maintaining the right fundamentals.

Efficiency in Accuracy. A positive ballistic effect on the target.

Balancing Speed and Accuracy. Speed is not more important than accuracy. Accuracy is not more important than speed. Speed and accuracy are two parts of the same machine. When they mesh, a shooter's survivability rate in a time-is-life situation climbs significantly, as does their positive effect on the target.

Consistency

Learning efficient techniques and mastering them through correct repetitions takes consistency to the next level in safety, form and technique. Consistency in training creates long term potentiation, causing actions and reactions in dynamic stress situations to come from the subconscious rather than the conscious mind.

A thousand different repetitions are a thousand wasted repetitions. Inconsistent training that neglects consistency, leads directly to hesitation, failure, confusion and death in dynamic stress situations.
This is one of those things that will help you make decisions on how you do things and can be applied to many things from weapons manipulations to tactics. Sometimes a method or tactic can be found to be both the most efficient and consistent but most of the time you have to choose one or the other.

For example when it comes to dry reloading there are 2 main ways to get the bolt or slide into battery. First is to use the bolt/slide release and second is to manually cycle the action. One is more effecient while the other is more consistant since weapons like the AK47 do not have a bolt catch.

Here is a example when it comes to tactics:

As you can see in the scenario presented in the top left of the image shows a room leading into a hallway from the side. You have 2 options for points of domination. The arrow going right shows the more effecient solution which is to place the #3 and 4 man in positions that would make the more useful since all 4 weapons will be pointed down the hallway. The arrow going down shows the more consistant solution which is to treat it like a room and place all operators along the near wall. Compare that to the bottom left scenario which shows a classic T section problem.

As for me I generally like consistency but sometimes I like to use the more effecient solution.

Discuss...
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Re: Consistency vs Effeciency

Post by Ryan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:38 am

I think you have to be consistent for an ever-changing, dynamic environment because without it you will over-complicate or over-think the situation. Consistency must be used generally and on a broad spectrum. You're normally talking about seconds-to-react situations and on the gradient of a time-critical situation then you have to problem solve, act and adjust--conduct the action and adjust while doing so if it was a wrong or less efficient move than you would of hoped for it to be.

You may also be talking about low risk, highly unlikely, situations which do not require anything overly complex. It's just about getting those motor skills in action and the mind ready to adapt or conduct a drill.

Both can, as you have said, be improved through training, technique, new thought processes (understanding) and prior knowledge of the OR a common situation. Every one will be different, but they will share some common similarities.

To be efficient I believe it has to be a somewhat pre-planned and deliberate action. Not every room you enter will be the same, nor will the targets be in the same position so it would require a lot of pre-thought and knowledge to be as effective as you'd hope to. But again, consistency is very closely linked because a situation will not go exactly as you want it, no matter how much you plan it, so you have to be ready for the variables and that can be taught through consistency to problem solving for common or original situations. We all learn off lessons learnt. :)

You see efficiency in demonstrations, you see consistency in real world scenarios.

For instance with your diagram you can move out into the hallway, as the bottom left picture demonstrates, then adjust from there to the top right picture. I think the bottom left would be one for a lower risk situation, for instance if you had a hallway man covering, and to automatically single stack on the next door and all the while the 2nd man could muzzle up to the first man's right shoulder and have the same firepower down range, but without the angles--while the top right, being a medium to higher risk situation, you would need to have more security up front, possibly for an obstacle like a T-junction.

I am with you on mixed. I like to consider both when I have the time.

To differentiate it to tactics:
Efficiency

Efficiency in manoeuvre

Plausibility of an event

The balance of the two.

Consistency

Consistency in common situations

Consistency in time management situations

The balance of the two.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 am

You have some excellent points.

Obviously in a pre planned deliberate assault you will have time to design and choreograph each operators movements down to the T in order to create a solution that best fits the problem at hand. I know the following example is from a TV show but I think it's a really good example of what I just said.

As for other issues like weapons manipulations I think people will have different takes on that. For example there will be people who will debate over the use of the slide or bolt release, how you clear malfunctions and also how you grip a handgun.

@ 2:00

This teaches to "tap rack bang" and if it doesn't work it leads into a double feed fix. --> consistency

Some people will opt to diagnose the problem and use the more specific solution. --> effeciency
Example 1: Failure to eject > simple sweep casing off.
Example 2: Double feed = mushy trigger > remidial action.

One more example was an article that I can't find anymore where it basically said that one should hold all handguns like thay would hold a revolver since that even if you normally use an auto loading pistol you might have to end up using a revolver in combat and if you are too used to holding an autoloader like an autoloader you will get burnt (litterally).

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:56 am

Return to “General Discussions”