Preparation For Tactcal Unit Selection

Use this forum to chat abort anything else related to CQB.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Dramatikk

Preparation For Tactcal Unit Selection

Post by Dramatikk » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 pm

I don't know wheter I posted this on the right section of this forum, or if this type of thread is in any way a welcome addition ... But I believe that this topic is something many users and guests will appreciate talking and knowing more about. Letting people in on the challenges you will meet and what type of characters these units are looking for.

The primarly goal of this thread will be to enlighten people in how they can best prepare themselfs for a selection period for any tactical unit. This way they can put up a plan on what they should be working on before stepping up to the selection.

So If anyone got tips or recommendations on workout plans, plans on building up confidence, mindset/mindgame, overcoming fobias, body language, tips on skydiving, scuba diving ... etc, etc, please feel free to post. All info and help is much appreciated! :wink:

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

(This thread is asking about alot, but lets just see where this thread goes before thinking of deleting it) :P

Ryan

Re: Preparation For Tactcal Unit Selection

Post by Ryan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:09 am

Preperation:
Work on yourself, all attributes, not just fitness but finesse. You want to come across as the man they want and be moulded into what they need out of an operator.

HARD WORK. Endurance is a must BUT pushing yourself to the brink and beyond is a bigger must. Expand your mindset, you may think 'heck this 20km is hard' then 'heck, 21km is a bloody struggle', until you keep progressing. Once you've done it, you can do it again with a better mindset. It's like doing things once, first time, it's harder than the next time and next time. You're in an environment where firsts count so you will not get many chances to do something again and again so practice is what it takes.

Hit the wall, and knock it over.

You will come across all kinds of exercises and tests that are designed to build your confidence only to let you down again, push your limits and slowly wear you out of the game.

A few good reads:
http://www.specialoperations.com/Foreig ... urance.pdf
http://www.scribd.com/doc/23788341/13-W ... -Programme
(I can't add .pdf files, if I could I would send you more).
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:34 am

You guys forgot about the first thing you ever do before any of that and that is to ask your self why you want to join a particular unit and then realistically assess yourself on whether or not you have a chance at passing.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:07 pm

If I should prepare myself for a selection, I would have done it the following way:

1 - Workout for 1 hour(kardio & strength), 5 days a week and every weekend I've walk 20km carring 60kg.

2 - Do a skydiving course and make atleast 10 jumps(day and night).

3 - Complete a scuba-diving course and learn myself to hold my breath for 3:00min under water.

EDIT: A small challenge for you guys to try out ... Next time you walk down the street, try look people you meet straight in the eyes ... Who breaks contact first? The person that breaks contact first, where do that person look ... down, up or to the side? Hehehe ... :twisted:
Last edited by Dramatikk on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:40 am

Well for the unit you're trying to get in, you must know around the amount you have to walk over the time period. You must have some very rough idea. For other units its much more than 20km, with good weight, but as you're going through the ranks of Police Academy, Local SWAT and then to the CT unit that would mean essentially you're building yourself up steadily to it. It's good to actually do breathing holding while doing your swimming training, those 30kg kettlebells are great for underwater strength workouts.

Why the courses? To get a better idea before you do it? Understandable.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:37 am

Did anyone try out my challenge? It's a leadership test ...

(I got plenty of other challenges and tasks that I've learned, if anyone wants?)

Anyway, thnx for the respons guys. :wink:

Why I'm interested in taking courses ... It's because I find taking courses a fun activity to do.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Bring on the challenges... By the way how dó i pass the look on the eys?
http://CQB-Team.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/CQBteam
Tactical education and motivation.training info for the soldier that wish to learn the art of CQB.

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:42 pm

This eye-test is a confidence/leader test. The person that first breaks eye contact is generally the "weaker" male/female ... But this is just the first sign to look for. Next where does the person that first breaks contact look? If he looks down = that person is considering himself the weaker male. If he looks up = That person considering himself the dominant male. if he looks to the side = that person considering himself equal to you.

Why this test? Many people can easilly fake confidence through body language by movement, use of voice, handshakes etc, but "eyes dont lie" ... Every new person I meet, I perform the "eye-test". This is my first step towards finding the persons character.

This test can feel strange and scary for many people, but by keeping a steady, calm eye-contact( don't look down, Never), you will give a immpression of controll and confidence.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Sounds fun i give it a shot
Tactical education and motivation.training info for the soldier that wish to learn the art of CQB.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:32 am

And then it turns out they are blind, then you'll feel the fool! :P I have to try this.

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:12 pm

I now guess people have had time enough too try the "eye-test" ... So, are people ready for yet another challenge? :wink:

OK, this is what I want you to try out: Next time you visit your local swimming center, walk up to the five meter high diving board and stand on the very edge of the diving board. Now, stand sideways with your arms and legs together like a plank/pole. Here comes the test: When gotten into position, gently tip over and fall into the water.

The goal is to keep your arms and legs thight to your body in the fall. If your arms and/or legs seperate through out the fall you have failed the challenge. You have to maintain the "plank/pole" position when you tip off the diving board and keep this position all the way down to the water, and you have to tip sideways ...

PS: This is also a confidence test.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:07 pm

I know it very well. We call it "dead wall" but is made from 3 meters to insure that you land on your head with no splach.. If you land any other way you get another go... And another...

Return to “General Discussions”