Those Special Units & That Special Person

Use this forum to chat abort anything else related to CQB.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Dramatikk

Those Special Units & That Special Person

Post by Dramatikk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:27 pm

I've been honestly thinking of trying out the police academy here in Norway, and my career goal will then be to join the national CT-unit DELTA. (This is no "brat" talk, I am seriously considering this.)

Now to get to the question.

I have been reading that after the special unit "selection" period, you might not be qualified for the job, even though you have passed both the physical and pshycological tests. This because these unit are looking for "that right person"?

Who is "that right person"? :roll:

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Those Special Units & That Special Person

Post by Admin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 pm

I know that under the selection period you are looked at by the operators and they are looking to see if you are a person that they want to work with. If you pass selection and they dont like your person you dont get in.
It is very diffrent what they are looking.
http://CQB-Team.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/CQBteam
Tactical education and motivation.training info for the soldier that wish to learn the art of CQB.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:10 am

Yeah it's got to be a mixture and whole bunch of personal traits and habits that they want in a person, e.g. self determination, personal physical fitness, mental toughness. If you've ever read on other special units and the selection process then you'll get more of an understanding. Note: some of these paragraphs are copied quotes and findings I have come across.

From my point of view, putting myself in their situation, these are the qualities I would want:

A natural leader who thinks on his feet, works as a team and accepts personal responsibility but also has some amount of 'Digger recognition' - that is that he does by example and is on the level of everyone around him, not thinking he is special or knows it all as some leaders do; he is apart of a team, not self. It is essential for harmonious operations in a high-pressure environment where trust and reliance between patrol members are absolutely essential.

Some amount of egalitarianism in thought pattern to work with other groups in times of need for the better of end goal than personal feelings, you may not like some of the units or even people you work with but you have to put up with it the best you can.

Someone who puts personal feelings to the very back of their mind, it's not about opinion, it's about getting the job done and getting it done properly.

Someone who can overcome fear, e.g. heights, you will be climbing or rappelling so you must overcome that fear, even if you are shit scared of it, so others will be and have been in the past.

Someone who has common or natural skills, e.g. swimming, the person must be able to swim, it's a simple thing to learn but there are a lot of simple skills the person must have. I'd put navigation on the list, and bloody common sense - as in a high stress environment, it's what you can rely on.

Someone who has honed their skills and done the training beforehand, they are assessing you to be apart of the unit, you want to make a good impression then train and train and train. It's not about what a person knows, they will teach you the way and the things they want you to learn, it's about the persons ability to learn and basic foundational skills to learn on top of. E.g. You can do MMA all you like for 10 years! Then go into a unit that only use certain tricks of the trade from MMA and fights totally different to it, but at least you'd have a foundation to base it off.

Someone who is mentally tough and focused on what they are doing - what you’re here for, what the job is and how to achieve it - rather than, ‘Shit, this is going to hurt’, 'This will take days'. Solutions, not problems, have a sense of common goal and achieve it. They need a problem solver, a lateral thinker - doctrine is only a back-up for people like this. And certainly apart of this mental fitness is greatly linked with physical fitness, when you think your body cannot go any longer, you've done the wrong thing, because you've thought about the negative and underestimated your body. Overcome and continue.

You must be able to take a certain degree of subjectivity, a few knocks, a few bumps on the ego and a few shouts.

You must have a sense of humour, to be stuck up ones arse in these kinds of situations is not a good trait. You've got to laugh and get along, it matters greatly in any team environment. I once found a quote from an SAS Soldier 'Braggarts have no place in this type of force, nor do men who cannot laugh at themselves'.

Here's another quote: 'In essence, there are three major qualities: intelligence, mental toughness and physical toughness. Other qualities are self-reliance , responsibility, reliability, confidence, loyalty, moral courage, unselfishness, a sense of humour, honesty, a high degree of integrity; together with an above-average ability to navigate by day and night, to communicate, possess a high level of endurance and leadership; have the ability to shoot accurately and to be able to march with heavy operational loads.'

Integrity above all else.
Team, not self.
Finesse, not just fitness.
Stewardship, not stupidity.
Achievement and sense of duty, not reward.
Courage, not arrogance.

Overall: You must be suitable to their wants and needs. You must either be the person or be mouldable into that person. Look at the Ethos and CREED's of some of these groups and it is exactly what they want.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:40 am

I think this guy says it the best:
http://www.futurejarheads.org/eliteunitwannabees.htm wrote:
Many who make it into these elite units are naturally gifted people the same way many who make it into professional sports are naturally gifted athletes. You have to excel in all aspects of what they are looking for and this is hard to do. I know we all think we are badd asses, but lets be realistic in what we can actually do in life. Ask yourself this question: "Do you really think you have what it takes, or is this just a phase of wanting to be cool.?" And be honest when answering this question.

EXAMPLE:
In high school many of us who play sports think we are good enough to become college athletes and even pro athletes. That is a good way to think, but at the end of the day 99 percent of us have no real chance of making it. No matter how hard we work out and no matter how motivated we are, we will never become pro athletes because we have no natural talent. The same concept applies to making it into these elite units in most cases. Just because you work out and work your ass off for a few years does not mean you will even stand a chance to get into those units. Just because you played HS sports and were good does not mean you will make it into these units. Just because you take MMA classes and can swim doesn't mean you will make it. The physical part is just one part of many to getting accepted into these prestigious units.

If you are a teenager aged 17 or older then you should know right now if you actually have what it takes or if you are just going through a phase. Be very honest with yourself. It takes a lot more then running a perfect PFT to make it into these units. Being a PT stud is just one part of the whole picture. You do not just wake up one day and decide you want to be in special ops or any elite unit. You have to be destined and you sort of have to be born to play the part. And believe it or not, you actually have to use your brain and you must have common sense. Plus being mature and responsible and very self-driven is a huge key to getting into these units.
Source

semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Thank you all for the response. It is all much appreciated. :wink:

I remember the head of the norwegian DELTA unit said in a interview, that the type of person they were looking for was the "hard working farmer". Do anyone got a comment on this statement?

furthermore I remember one friend of mine said to me that he would never instruct a person that could not smile. This person also gave me some tasks to do, just so I could test my motivation for a career in a special operations unit. :lol:

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:51 am

The hard working farmer could be something to do with what Eddie Stone said in the final episode of SAS Survival Secrets.

Basically what he said was that a lot of the men who make it into the unit lived an underprivilaged life as a child and had to learn to adapt and survive with what they had.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:04 am

Your work is your living? This line of work is a lifestyle, and not it depends on the individual to make it work properly. I'm taking a stab in the dark here...

One thing I would say is know yourself through hard training, self examination, really know yourself. Do a character assessment (I just had one today), try do one under a bit of stress, e.g. a time limit and number of questions you don't know about, out of the blue, I did this - your brain freezes and it is hard, after the interview you're like... I show of said X, X, X, X, X and you have a big list. They don't want a big list, as you would expect, just certain traits; one good trait is worth a thousand average ones. And have a list of qualities you have for the job and the ones you don't, the qualities, you will learn to develop. Have a plan for that. :)

Pressure interviews will break your plan though and show your true self.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Talking about being honest, and knowing your own limits ... I' not so sure about how I will handle the 40 meter rope jump. It's not that I've got a fobia for hights, or any other fobias. It's just that I have never done such a high jump in my life before ... (My highest jump is 12 meters) :shock:

The thing that worries my the most, is my bad hearing on my left ear. This was the reason I got rejected by the army, and I fear this is what will get me rejected by the police academy as well. :(

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:06 am

Then practice. :P They have some of the information there, and some information you don't know about - what you're going to do, basic fitness tests, a training schedule:- practice on whatever you'd think would come and cross-train as much as possible, mixing it with stress tests, timed tests, extreme weight, endurance marches and character assessments; this includes numeracy, literacy and other tests. Bad hearing, yeah that could be quite bad and does not contribute to much but that does not to say they'd autoreject; it isn't a plus but no has all plus' and is perfect, everyone has negatives, but they want someone who seeks perfection throughout life by way of lifestyle. Go for it, if you can offer them something and you WANT to be in the unit, don't stop at nothing.

Role play:
'What can you bring to DELTA?'
'What attitributes, what skills?'
'Tell us about yourself'
'What is your family status like?'
'Teach us something'

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Thnx for the moral support, Ryan. I really appreciate it. :wink:

But this is a project I'm going to start on later (2-5 years). First of I'm going to finish my college degree, then I'm going to try out the police academy. If I pass the selection for the police academy, I will then try to join one of the UEH units (local Swat team), before stepping up to the selection period for the DELTA unit (national CT-unit). I will "climb the ladder", as they say ... :lol:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:24 am

I can't find the thumbs up button but thumbs up. Want a good read? David Everett, Shadow Warrior (http://dangerousdaveeverett.com/). Chapter 2 - Selection. Just reading it for the second time. Mindset is all, and humour is your best friend. I wish you good luck. :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:54 am

There are four Ways in which men pass through life: as gentlemen, farmers, artisans and merchants.

The Way of the farmer. Using agricultural instruments, he sees springs through to autumns with an eye on the changes of season.

Second is the Way of the merchant. The wine maker obtains his ingredients and puts them to use to make his living. The Way of the merchant is alway to live by taking profit. This is the Way of the merchant.

Thirdly the gentleman warrior, carrying the weaponry of his Way. The Way of the warrior is to master the virtue of his weapons. If a gentleman dislikes strategy he will not appreciate the benefit of weaponry, so must he not have a little taste for this?

Fourthly the Way of the artisan. The Way of the carpenter [architect and builder, all buildings were of wood. - Slaegr] is to become proficient in the use of his tools, first to lay his plans with a true measure and then perform his work according to plan. Thus he passes through life. These are the four Ways of the gentleman, the farmer, the artisan and the merchant.

---
Go Rin No Sho, Book of the 5 Rings. Miyamoto Musashi.

Return to “General Discussions”