General solutions v Unique solutions

Use this forum to chat abort anything else related to CQB.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jimothy_183
Military
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

General solutions v Unique solutions

Post by jimothy_183 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:09 am

Something came up while I was talking to someone else who is into CQB stuff and I have thought about the differences in both of our way of thinking.

In particular our difference lie in how we like to solve tactical problems that we encounter. What I mean is that I like to create general solutions that work +90% of the time and he likes to create unique solutions for everything.
Jason Wuestenberg wrote: I was the same way at one time. I wanted to learn all the CQB tactics that were known. That way I could be ready for any situation or floor plan. I’m still not sure where the turning point was, but suddenly I started to shift my focus on the principles to CQB, and not so much on memorizing specific tactics. I realized that learning specific tactics is like learning dance steps. You don’t have to think about it. And, I can see how that would be appealing to many trainers and tactical teams. The problem is if you encounter an environment that you are unfamiliar with, then a pause or hesitation occurs because you’re trying to figure out how to make a specific tactic work. If officers are taught the principles, and drilled in a manner that forces them to think on the move, then you have a more fluid operator. But, this is harder than teaching dance steps.
Source

The only advantage I can think of with making unique solutions is that you can create something that will work better than a general one that's made to "fit all sizes".

Thoughts?
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Re: General solutions v Unique solutions

Post by Ryan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 am

Both are good in my opinion (because it's training). Unique is good for learning and trying something new - but it should be pre-planned and not just done for the sake of it, general solutions should be taken place at all times if not practicing something unique, it's your normal precaution - your reaction and it should be a reaction, not should I do this instead, no hesistation.

Do you have any examples of General and Unique solutions? :lol: Sounds like it could get interesting.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Discussions”