Supine Position (Breakfalls) During Knife Fighting

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Supine Position (Breakfalls) During Knife Fighting

Post by Ryan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:53 am

"The young man was thick, and aggressive. Who knows what issues or problems found him living in the transient campsite – tucked back in some hillside scrub along a freeway off-ramp, but he was upset with the police officers that were now occupied collecting the multiple people from the camp’s tents and gathering them together so that names could be run and citations issued.

When he “bowed up” on my partner and began yelling at her and advancing toward her, raising his fists, I moved in. There were several unsecured people around and still uncleared tents – I told the third officer there to watch our back. The incline was steep, with roots and brush and mud and debris throughout the campsite. The whole situation was precarious.

Then it got precarious-er…

After two steps I lost my footing and came crashing to the ground: in external vest – in which is a heavy rifle chest plate instead of the much smaller and lighter trauma plates most wear; radio, cuffs, extra magazines, knives, blow-out kit, and gunbelt with sidearm I hit the ground….hard….amongst the roots and debris, landing square on my hip.

I bounced up, moved in for a takedown and ultimately subject control and custody.

My partner looked at me: “Are you okay??” she said almost incredulously. “You fell down HARD. I can’t believe you got up so fast!!” She asked if my hip was okay because she said it looked like I had landed on it.

I was fine.

Now I am no spring chicken. But I have trained in judo and jujutsu for many years, so that a fall is a minor event, at best. I have been slammed into the mat and popped right back up too many times to count. It not only holds no fear for me, I am actually comfortable falling, landing, and getting back up. I have fallen on carpeted floor, hard floors, head over heels over bike handlebars and nose-over-toes dives on blacktop and sidewalks, fallen on ice, and even out a door – down concrete steps – and into a backyard full dog feces while in a fight with a domestic violence suspect. I have done so wearing both heavy body armor and in nothing but shorts and a tee shirt.

I have never been hurt in a fall in the “real world” other than minor scrapes. And I have both rolled out and done slapping breakfalls in these cases.

When asked about the benefits of jujutsu training, something I always bring up is this: you learn to receive a fall. You become conditioned to doing so correctly, you lose unnecessary tension when falling (the main reason I think people actually get hurt), and unnecessary stress over the possibility that you might fall or be taken down and be unable to get up.

Jujutsu teaches you to fall AND how to get up “technically” and “tactically.” Sure – you practice most of the time wearing the functional equivalent of pajamas (a keikogi or training uniform) and even what is confused for a skirt (a hakama, in more traditional Japanese arts…) but with some adaptation taking falls the jujutsu way can be done in body armor and carrying lots of hard, pointy gear with no ill effects. Indeed, all that gear places one at greater risk of being hurt if one does not know how to fall.

This should not be surprising as jujutsu was, originally and under different names, and armed and armored discipline. The echoes of that are still there, even in the modern derivations.

Many people are hurt in daily life taking spills – in particular our older folks. I sometimes muse as to whether or not breakfalls should be a regular part of school PE classes in younger years simply to teach people to fall down properly. And while it may not be very sexy to tell a citizen interested in self protection or a cop or soldier that one of the most useful things they will learn from this mysterious and deadly warrior martial art or “UFC Fighting” sport is how to fall down, it’s still something I mention when recommending its practice."

Thoughts on going to ground when being aggro'ed by an opponent?

If they rush you for example, in a tight spot where you cannot back up. Going to ground, yes, loses mobility but gets the main body arches out the way of aggressive striking and frees up space for projectile weapons.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Return to “Knife Fighting”