Deployment Distance

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Deployment Distance

Post by Ryan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:23 pm

What is your usual deployment difference to decide whether you deploy the knife or the pistol, or another method such as rifle butting, muzzle striking, going to hand to hand, simply retreating or distracting?

Remember knives usually come into play when the pistol is not an option such as depicted here.

Deployment distance talked about here.
He says it's productive under one second but I have read that sometimes it just won't matter... which is understandable, but then again I'd rather fight with a knife than without, I'd rather fight with a knife than with my hand - personally.

"Lie #1 You're going to have time to draw your own weapon
In all the times I have been assaulted with knives, only once was I able to pull my own weapon. And I didn't carry a folder, I carried a sheath knife that I had repeatedly practiced speed drawing. I could, in a crisis, draw and deploy a knife in just over one second. This is not idle boasting, I demonstrate it in many of my videos. And yet, despite this incredible rate of speed, when attacked I didn't have time to draw my knife except for the one time that I leaped wildly backwards to gain space.

That's because by the time I realized there was a knife involved, I was already being attacked.

Not long ago I was involved in a discussion about a young biker who had been blown off his barstool by a shotgun blast. What had disturbed me is that he had been involved in an altercation in the bar earlier and had not withdrawn, thereby signing his death warrant. However, an Australian bouncer rightfully commented that the ages between 18 and 24 is where these kinds of lifesaving lessons tend to be learned -- and those who don't learn them, or aren't lucky, never get any older. It is only the young and inexperienced who make certain kinds of mistakes.

Most knife "fighting" training is predicated on the assumption that you have somehow managed to get a blade in your hand. Quite honestly, if you you are attacked by either a young punk, a total incompetent or someone who was brandishing the knife in order to get you to back off then there is a chance that you might have time to draw you own weapon.

However, if you are dealing with anyone with any experience, street savvy or cunning, you will not be able to draw your own blade when you are attacked. Against such a person, there is just not enough time. He won't show his weapon before he attacks. That's because those who are foolish enough to brandish weapons in places where weapons are common don't live long themselves.

And yet that is exactly what you are expecting him to do so you can draw your own knife and defeat him."
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

civiliansheepdog

Re: Deployment Distance

Post by civiliansheepdog » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:10 am

Use your "free hand" to create space either by jabbing the eyes or pushing the target away and deploying your knife, then immediately strike. Or if you want to get real fancy, if you got a flash light equipped with you, flash the target and at the same draw your knife and go for the face hahaha.

nathanwagar

Re: Deployment Distance

Post by nathanwagar » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:20 am

Secure the knife arm, then access your weapon. Do not access your weapon until you do that, or you will get stabbed multiple times, with a very low success rate.

Return to “Knife Fighting”