The Greatest Combat Throw on Record, Skeeter - Paul Kirchner

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

The Greatest Combat Throw on Record, Skeeter - Paul Kirchner

Post by Ryan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:09 am

"For Paladin’s Even More Dangerously Fun Stuff For Boys Who Never Really Grew Up, I contributed a chapter titled “Knife Throwing in Combat: Fantasy vs. Reality.” I searched numerous databases for accounts of incidents in which a knife was thrown and instantly killed an enemy in combat, and could find no credible record of such a thing ever having occurred. However, the researcher learns to avoid making absolute statements, because further information is always forthcoming. In the spring of this year, I took a class with Mike Janich, himself an accomplished knife thrower and Paladin author, and asked if he had ever heard of such an incident. He immediately tossed out a name: Skeeter Vaughan, a full-blooded Cherokee and professional knife thrower who served in World War II.

George “Skeeter” Vaughan (1922–1989) was raised on an Indian reservation in California and as a boy hunted small game with throwing knives. By the time he was in his teens, he was performing as a professional knife thrower. In 1942, at age 19, he enlisted in the army, where he earned the rank of sergeant.

In Tomahawk Throwing: The Art of the Experts, author Harry K. McEvoy described Sgt. Skeeter Vaughan's famous knife throw. His six-man patrol was tasked with taking out a German pillbox, guarded by a sentry. Any shooting would compromise the mission. Though it was dark, the Americans realized they would be clearly silhouetted against the snow-covered ground if they approached. One of his men asked Skeeter if he could kill the German from a distance with the 16-inch throwing knife he had modified from a bayonet. Skeeter decided to risk a try, crawling as close as he dared to the sentry, whose back was toward him.

Here's how McEvoy describes what followed: “With a skill developed over many years of continual practice, Skeeter hurled his bayonet knife in a high trajectory, aiming for a spot about three feet above the head of the sentry. The weapon turned silently over and over in its long downhill pinwheel flight, and to Skeeter’s amazement, the sentry dropped face down into the snow without a sound—the weapon had penetrated the sentry’s head at the base of his skull. . . . The patrol cleaned out the pillbox with grenades. The following morning, Skeeter's throw was measured at a miraculous 87 feet!”

Skeeter went on to have a successful career in Hollywood as an actor and stuntman.

In a reenactment of Skeeter’s feat, competitive knife thrower Mike “Alamo” Bainton only got his knife to stick on his fourth throw, and even then he just hit a door-sized target, not an exact spot as Skeeter would have had to have done. I would feel more confident in the truth of the story if there were some reference to it outside of McEvoy's book. However, Skeeter was one of the greatest knife throwers who ever lived, and he himself always attributed his throw more to luck and prayer than to skill."

—Paul Kirchner
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Re: The Greatest Combat Throw on Record, Skeeter - Paul Kirc

Post by Ryan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:38 am

Knife throwing - realistic?

"For whatever reason, you don't or can't have your firearm with you and something is about to go down. How would you like to have the capability to make a truly game-changing first move?

As a Master Instructor once asked, "If you had one blade left, would you throw it at your opponent?" Most people quickly respond, "NO!" But then the Master Instructor says, "But if you had one bullet left, you'd fire that at your opponent wouldn't you? You must have the mindset there is no difference."

We'll have video of Master Coach Al Salvitti demonstrating his power and incredible fighting advantage he gains from projectiling blades then closing (or not) on his opponent(s). And projectiling isn't restricted to blades, Master Coach Al will projectile screwdrivers, pliers, tire irons, keys, wrenches, anything!

It's all about disrupting your opponent's OODA Loop in order to make entry or your next move whatever that might be. If the projectile makes terminal entry, great, but even if it doesn't, it still totally disrupts your opponent.

We scoured the 'net for examples and the closest we could find is this video. Look at the distance, the speed a blade can be brought in to play, and the explosive forward energy that can be used to "follow the blade" and make entry.

New mindset folks. This is a game changer you need in your "tool box."."

- Tom Spooner, ex-DELTA.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Isn't it more likely Skeeter took a chance at pacifying the sentry without firing a shot for stealth reasons? I have no idea how accurate and far one can throw a grenade, as trained knife thrower.

The Franks(an early medieval culture living south of the Rhine river near the north sea) were known to throw a barrage of Fransika Axes at enemy lines just before charging. The reason was most likely to send them running, scaring them out of concentration and maybe break some shields.

The Romans used a similar tactic with their "Pillum" Spears, A design with a softened metal end, so spears would dangle of shields or hit an opponent and otherwise be bent, so they could not be thrown back.

There even is historical evidence of a fighting manual for knights in single combat presenting the option of unscrewing the pommelnut from ones sword to throw at the enemy. how serious this was is very questionable, since the tang should have been peened over the pommelnut.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Ryan wrote:Knife throwing - realistic?

"For whatever reason, you don't or can't have your firearm with you and something is about to go down. How would you like to have the capability to make a truly game-changing first move?

As a Master Instructor once asked, "If you had one blade left, would you throw it at your opponent?" Most people quickly respond, "NO!" But then the Master Instructor says, "But if you had one bullet left, you'd fire that at your opponent wouldn't you? You must have the mindset there is no difference."

We'll have video of Master Coach Al Salvitti demonstrating his power and incredible fighting advantage he gains from projectiling blades then closing (or not) on his opponent(s). And projectiling isn't restricted to blades, Master Coach Al will projectile screwdrivers, pliers, tire irons, keys, wrenches, anything!

It's all about disrupting your opponent's OODA Loop in order to make entry or your next move whatever that might be. If the projectile makes terminal entry, great, but even if it doesn't, it still totally disrupts your opponent.

We scoured the 'net for examples and the closest we could find is this video. Look at the distance, the speed a blade can be brought in to play, and the explosive forward energy that can be used to "follow the blade" and make entry.

New mindset folks. This is a game changer you need in your "tool box."."

- Tom Spooner, ex-DELTA.
I'm all about projectiling, in an anything-goes scenario. I'll throw anything that comes to hand as I'm trying to better my position, in an effort to take you down. I can say that I've witnessed a classified experiment using Teflon-coated, weighted projectiles. It was successful only about 60% of the time.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 am

Breacher01 wrote:Isn't it more likely Skeeter took a chance at pacifying the sentry without firing a shot for stealth reasons? I have no idea how accurate and far one can throw a grenade, as trained knife thrower.
Quite possibly but I cannot find any more information to confirm.

Alfa47

Post by Alfa47 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Breacher01 wrote:There even is historical evidence of a fighting manual for knights in single combat presenting the option of unscrewing the pommelnut from ones sword to throw at the enemy. how serious this was is very questionable, since the tang should have been peened over the pommelnut.
I don't remember exactly if it was a fighting manual or just a manual, but it was satirical. There are other manuals in which you can see trees from which grow penis-shaped "fruits", or a girl riding a dick-shaped flying animal. And I'm being completely serious.
And then the pommel throwing thing became a meme,

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Thats the YTer whose video I saw.
Teflon-coated, weighted projectiles
I have no clue what those are.

Return to “Knife Fighting”