The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

Post by Ryan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:29 am

The Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife is a double-edged fighting knife resembling a dagger or poignard with a foil grip developed by William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes in Shanghai based on concepts which the two men initiated before World War II while serving on the Shanghai Municipal Police in China.

The F–S fighting knife was made famous during World War II when issued to British Commandos, the Airborne Forces, the SAS and many other units, especially for the Normandy Landings in June 1944. With its acutely tapered, sharply-pointed blade, the F–S fighting knife is frequently described as a stiletto, a weapon optimized for thrusting, although the F-S knife is capable of being used to inflict slash cuts upon an opponent when its cutting edges are sharpened according to specification. The Wilkinson Sword Company made the knife with minor pommel and grip design variations.

The F-S knife is strongly associated with the British commandos and the US Office of Strategic Services (OSS) and Marine Raiders (who based their issued knife on the Fairbairn-Sykes), among other special forces / clandestine / raiding units. It features in the insignia of the British Royal Marines, the Belgian Commandos, the Dutch Commando Corps, founded in the UK during World War II, the Australian 1st Commando Regiment and 2nd Commando Regiment, and the United States Army Rangers, both founded with the help of the British Commandos. A solid gold F–S fighting knife is part of the commandos' memorial at Westminster Abbey.

:lol: Can't argue with that...

"A knife is a mirror, a magnet, a can-opener, a tree-cutter, a fighting tool."

You can split the knife into handle, hilt or cross-guard, the blade and the tip. They can all be used in someway or another, for example the hilt/cross-guard can be used as a pressure point weapon, as well as a blunt hitting tool.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Breacher01

Re: The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:30 pm

I Collect these, and have read "Get tough" of course. This dagger isn't intended for fighting or even defense. the hilt is like a precision instrument, and point of balance is very close to the cross-guard. its main purpose was killing Germans without firing a shot.

Most knife fighting techniques go out the window as soon as you are at the point your knife is your last weapon. In my experience people tend to forget all training, and just hack and slash at their opponent until he or she is unable to stand anymore. Most knife fighting techniques only work if your opponent is also using technique or reason. I have threatened people with knives with success, but i hate to think about the consequences if that didn't pacify them...

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:34 pm

One of my favorite combatives instructors, a MSG, when I went into the Army, was a Vietnam vet, who had SF and Ranger combat patches. A friend of his father's had been a Marine Raider in WWII, who had taught him to use the F/S Knife. The attack that he favored with it, was from behind. You approach from behind and grab the person with your right hand, cupping their chin and pulling to their right as you plunge the dagger, straight down, edge front to back, into the notch between their clavicle and shoulder blade on their left side. You then rock the dagger, from front to back. This turns their aortic branch and heart into hamburger.

I never flash a weapon. Ever.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:39 pm

I have no formal knife training, but an F~S knife is just a 6 1/2" blade, I think an attack to the throat area is far more easy, and has just as much effect on the target.

Using a knife like the F~S or Applegate Fairbairn to effectively target internals like an aorta is a precise operation. Rocking the knife front to back doesn't seem viable either, These daggers don't really have a cutting edge, and with the F~S you don't have a very positive awareness of the edge orientation, because the handles are round in all 3 patterns.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:29 am

Breacher01 wrote:I have no formal knife training, but an F~S knife is just a 6 1/2" blade, I think an attack to the throat area is far more easy, and has just as much effect on the target.
I have had formal training. With the Karambit and several other pointed weapons of Asian origin as well as in the Army.
True, the entire throat is a target area.
Breacher01 wrote:Using a knife like the F~S or Applegate Fairbairn to effectively target internals like an aorta is a precise operation. Rocking the knife front to back doesn't seem viable either, These daggers don't really have a cutting edge, and with the F~S you don't have a very positive awareness of the edge orientation, because the handles are round in all 3 patterns.
It IS a precise operation, sir. I wasn't suggesting the technique as the optimal one for someone who has never been trained in it. I can attest to the effectiveness of the technique, however. I was taught to lay the blade against my forearm during my approach. I always know where the edge is, that way.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:15 am

In that case i might have had more formal training in the defensive and offensive arts of using a blade, Just never in killing sentries.

The F~S knife is in my opinion at the cutting edge when you're in shanghai in the 1920's. In that time the worst you would encounter were 5rnds revolvers and machete's.
The rest was to hard to conceal.

If you have nothing and the other person has any type of blade at my armed combat/krav maga gym we're tough to use our forearms as a shield in a last effort attempt. Thats also the place to attack your opponent in self defense because you have a low probability of lethal injury to your opponent. that's for instance why spyderco released their "civilian" model. Especially for LEO, that was before the Carambit hype, and NOT marketed at people who had ROE that allowed them to kill.

but I'm interested and waiting for your reply, since the carambit can also be used very fast and lethal when you decide to ignore the same training.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:31 am

Since I was introduced to the Karambit in 1984, in southern California, by a Filipino Arnis master, I guess that I predate the "hype". I tend to wander off down into my memories of the Army when I'm making comments in here. Not every technique that I share in here is a technique that I teach, currently. I'm quite good at remembering where the line is drawn between military and LE ROE.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Personally I'm glad every knife fight I have had so far has been sparring.

I don't think its pretty fighting with blades, however I'm trained when the terrible event may arise. When I think about it I get a sick feeling.
I've shot enough people, and smacked more that i can keep track of, but a 3 second knife fight must be terrible, and a last resort.

yuck...

Return to “Knife Fighting”