Fairbairn's Timetable of Death

Moderator: jimothy_183

Postby Ryan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:16 am

"In close-quarters fighting there is no more deadly weapon than the knife. An entirely unarmed man has no certain defense against it, and, further, merely the sudden flashing of a knife is frequently enough to strike fear into your opponent, causing him to lose confidence and surrender.

In choosing a knife there are two important factors to bear in mind: balance and keenness. The hilt should fit easily in your hand, and the blade should not be so heavy that it tends to drag the hilt from your fingers in a loose grip. It is essential that the blade have a sharp stabbing point and good cutting edges, because an artery torn through (as against a clean cut) tends to contract and stop the bleeding. If a main artery is cleanly severed, the wounded man will quickly lose consciousness and die.

The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife (shown on the opposite page) developed by the author and a colleague, is highly recommended as possessing the requisite qualities. This knife and similar types have found wide favor among experts.
There are many positions in which the knife can be carried. Selection of this position depends upon individual preference based on length of arm, thickness of body, etc. The following considerations, however, should always be borne in mind. A quick draw (an essential in knife fighting) can not be accomplished unless the sheath is firmly secured to the clothing or equipment. More over, speed on the draw can be accomplished only by constant daily practice. The author favors a concealed position, using the left hand, for in close-quarters fighting, the element of surprise is the chief ingredient of success.

The Timetable of Death

Certain arteries are more vulnerable to attack than others, because of their being nearer the surface of the skin, or not being protected by clothing or equipment. Don't bother about their names so long as you can remember where they are situated.

In the accompanying diagram (Fig. 112), the approximate positions of the arteries are given. They vary in size from the thickness of one's thumb to that of an ordinary pencil. Naturally, the speed at which loss of consciousness or death takes place will depend upon the size of the artery cut.

The heart or stomach, when not protected by equipment, should be attacked. The psychological effect of even a slight wound in the stomach is such that it is likely to throw your opponent into confusion.

Method of Making the Cut

Artery #i. Knife in the right hand, attack opponent's left arm with a slashing cut outwards, as in Fig. A.

Artery #2. Knife in the right hand, attack opponent's left wrist, cutting downwards and inwards, as in Fig. B.

Artery #3. Knife in right hand, edges parallel to ground, seize opponent around the neck from behind with your left arm, pulling his head to the left. Thrust point well in; then cut sideways. See Fig. C.

Artery #4. Hold knife as in Fig. D; thrust point well in downwards; then cut.

Note. - This is not an easy artery to cut with a knife, but, once cut, your opponent will drop, and no tourniquet or any help of man can save him.

Heart #5. Thrust well in with the point, taking care when attacking from behind not to go too high or you will strike the shoulder blade.

Stomach #6. Thrust well in with the point and cut in any direction.

Note. - It knife is in left hand, when attacking arteries #1 and #2, reverse the above and attack opponent's right arm."

For more techniques see:
http://combation.com/7-5-techniques/
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."
Ryan

Re: Fairbairn's Timetable of Death

Postby Ryan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 am

"William E. Fairbairn’s Timetable of Death—a section in his book, All-In Fighting that identifies the major arteries of the human body and lists the amount of time it would take to bleed to unconsciousness or death when these blood vessels are severed—has been used for years as a standard reference by students of edged-weapon tactics. But when Colorado police officer Christopher Grosz took a critical look at the timetable to validate it as a reference for law-enforcement training, he made a surprising discovery: the information in it was seriously flawed.

Grosz began a thorough analysis of Fairbairn’s work, human anatomy, and the realities of effective knife targeting and later teamed up with knife expert Michael Janich to document it all in Contemporary Knife Targeting. The research in this book was conducted with the help of recognized experts in both the medical and tactical fields. It takes full advantage of state-of-the-art medical studies directly related to the effects of edged weapons on the human body. It also reveals the real purpose behind Fairbairn’s original timetable and expands its scope to include the full spectrum of targets on the human body that are vulnerable to knife attacks. The result is a modern, medically accurate version of Fairbairn’s original timetable. It also includes contemporary self-defense applications of the updated data, making it the new definitive resource for all students of edged-weapon tactics. 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, softcover, photos, 152 pp.

Christopher Grosz was a defense tactics master instructor, a martial artist, a decorated officer of the Littleton, Colorado police department, and a student and training partner of Michael Janich. He passed away on Oct. 13, 2005, shortly after the public version of this book was contracted. Michael Janich completed the book as a tribute to Chris and signed all royalties over to his wife and children."

-- http://www.staysafemedia.com/contempora ... eting.html

If anyone gets around to reading this, give me an update. Because Research is usually published... for free, to read, not in a book to buy. It makes me think it's got the right approach to the subject but not worth getting. Many medical experiments, research and such as occurred around these subjects. He's not 'off' by much I gather.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."
Ryan

Postby civiliansheepdog » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:00 am

Found this on youtube, it's a review of the book you mentioned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UyL0L3qdQw

In my combative class we do the bicep cut, tricep cut, and quad cut. And it makes sense to cut those spots to immobilize the target temporary to either run or finish the job.
civiliansheepdog

Postby Ryan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks a lot, nice find.
Well, that's interesting propaganda. "Let's create this table, improve that confidence!" :lol: What?!

So, they estimate 45 seconds to 3 minutes with a singular strike. He didn't mention where though. I wonder if you add in some variables like depth, location, multiple strikes how that would turn out. Because if you think about the neck: cartilage, muscle and soft tissue. That can ALL be ripped out with a knife. No airway, no nothing. Then it doesn't really MATTER if you're dead, you're not causing a compromising fuss with nil airway whilst being controlled. :lol: As TG states in another thread, other potential issues are the enemy weapon falling to the ground creating noise, so on.

Muscular targets the book recommends over vascular and organs. That's a really... shocking fact. I think based more towards a knife fight than a take-down. Because Fairbairn was mainly talking about sentry killing, conventionally from behind against an unarmed or slinged weapon opponent in that timetable and associated chapter in the book, and this one looks more towards a knife on knife fight.

Also, he states bleed out. Not lose consciousness which what Fairbairn was worried about 'putting the target out of action', more than 100% assurance of death. For example I could shoot somebody and they could take minutes, hours, days even to bleed out. Same goes with shrapnel, whatever. But it could take less time than that to lose consciousness (whether it's in or out, or purely out of it) or be ineffective in a firefight.

I wish they just re-replicated the table with the 'new scientific research'. :twisted: I've contacted the people who run the website I got the information from, let's see what they say.

Ryan

Postby chris86 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:45 am

nice thread enjoying reading it :)
who says pink weapon is only for girls? smoke shop is for boys!
chris86

Postby Ryan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

On thinking about muscular targets it actually makes absolute sense when you throw in the variable of body armour. The old Commando techniques of knife through the rib, play with the heart or against the spine, bring a big man to the level of anybody goes out the window when you've got a plate there made for stopping high velocity rounds, as compared with this low velocity sharp object. Muscular targets are open, even groin protectors are of little use when a knife is at play. Webbing and kit in play, slice through it or between it. Penetrates clothing just as it would flesh. On the other hand it's good to know and practice in that sense the penetrability of your knife alongside certain techniques like slices versus thrust.

Ryan

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:39 pm

W.E. Fairbairn also mentions in his book "Get Tough!" an untrained person with a wooden chair or bar stool has a pretty good chance of winning when squared off with a attacker with a knife.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Breacher01 wrote:W.E. Fairbairn also mentions in his book "Get Tough!" an untrained person with a wooden chair or bar stool has a pretty good chance of winning when squared off with a attacker with a knife.

As long as they are conservative and back into a corner, I tend to agree.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Reminds me of circusfolks who handle dangerous animals.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:25 pm

Breacher01 wrote:Reminds me of circusfolks who handle dangerous animals.

+1, sir!
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:53 am

I'm glad you like it.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:04 am

Breacher01 wrote:I'm glad you like it.

The mental image was perfect! I was wearing a pith helmet! :D
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:32 am

I guess you have a lot of fun being able to visualize so clearly.

Have you read "Get Though!" yet? I may have a PDF which is a must for the people who can visualize almost anything, There are plenty of images, but when reading between the lines some things get pretty near bizarre in my head.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:46 am

I have the impression that the implied humor in our exchange didn't translate for you. Sorry about that.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:12 am

I know how the stereotypical circus lion trainer looks like, and in retrospect I am happy with your reply.

My mental image on this subject got the better of me, I have seen a lot.

It was not lost in translation. I apologize for any misunderstandings, and meant no negativity towards you, its me who has to apologize here.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:54 am

No worries, sir. I may have allowed myself to personalize an exchange in another thread and blow it out of proportion, mentally. In that case, the apologies owed were certainly to you. We are professionals and should be capable of resolving and de-escalating something like that in a mature manner. I'm abashed that I wasn't able to see that on my own.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:59 am

Don't worry...

Plain text is a very bad way of communicating details, for instance emotions. This proves why viewing the movie after you fantasized your own picture while reading the book is such a disappointment. Besides my English isn't the best, so my vocabulary is limited and some "figure of speech" I don't 'get' the first time.

This problem however was caused by stress caused by the topic here. I've read about it, and its a hobby of mine(as fitness), but sometimes memories about past encounters come to mind.

so you are in no way to blame here. You couldn't know.
Breacher01

Return to Knife Fighting