Thoughts on karambit?

Moderator: jimothy_183

Thoughts on karambit?

Postby Iamsheepdog » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Anyone recommend learning techniques with this knife or already have experience with this?
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"- Sun Tzu
Iamsheepdog

Re: Thoughts on karambit?

Postby tacticalguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 am

I'm very favorable towards the karambit training. I've done a fair amount of escrima training and have worked with the karambit. I think that you would find it useful.
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2674
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Iamsheepdog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:25 am

That's very cool and thank you, that knife design wasn't made just to defend but brutally rip and cut them open with short sweeps that all are perfect for up close and personal combat also very easy to manipulate and still be able to fight with both fist, and when that fails flip the knife around and ultimately end the situation quickly. Definitely going to look into training with one
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"- Sun Tzu
Iamsheepdog

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Do you know rule #1 in Knife(fightclub)?

There is no such thing as training to fight with a knife or to defend yourself against it. only in training.

Check out some real knife fights, and you soon discover the person holding the knife is hacking, slashing and stabbing for their life, while the other get cut real nasty. Also a knife is such a poor defensive tool i can probably find a longer ranged tool in any inhabited building to keep you away.

A carambit can be a good tool for a sneaky assasination, but knves in general are useless in self defence. If you ever meet someone with a edged weapon who can't be reasoned with and therefore will confront you with it your best bet is to run.

The only knife fight you can get away from without hospitalisation is the one you got out of by talking or running. You can quote me on that.
Breacher01

Postby Iamsheepdog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:36 pm

Knife fighting is a last resort absolutely, I wouldn't say your main strategy should be to rely on just a knife, however self defense in day to day life it's good to learn being that may be your only option for a weapon. Would I ever wanna be in a knife fight? Hell no and do knife fights where both individuals are dueling one happen often? No. Some form of defense with anything is better than none at all. Your applications for understanding knife fighting is dependent on someone's specific reasons and for me carrying a knife as an added edc is not a bad idea at all. Sometimes running or avoiding is not possible depending on what happens and you being defensive and they the aggressor, you aren't always going to be informed on being attacked as dumb as that sounds but my point is when it comes to edc it's better to have anything than nothing at all and if your knife being a karambit or any other type is your last resort than I'd prefer to learn how to use it than figure il never need it and it's way to dangerous. Any form of self defense or combat can be brutal but sometimes you don't have the luxury of choosing your fight so I'd rather have a plan of action now rather then wait until something happens and realize where I could have used it
Iamsheepdog

Postby Breacher01 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:22 am

If i was grocery shopping, and carried a knife(i always do, but thats another topic) i would not use my knife in self defense, even if my opponent attacs me with one. as i said a knife had virtually none defensive capabilities.

A backpack, shopping cart or any of the shops furniture has more defensive capabilities. The main reason is most knives don't have any real lenght advantage over another knife, but a chair or whatever has. Ofcourse no one is trained to fight with a chair, but lion tamers used to fend of lions with one. W.E. Fairbairn even states in his book 'Get Tough!' a untrained man with a wooden chair has a 2 in 3 chance of winning a fight with an opponent with a knife/dagger.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:41 am

Personally, I'm the guy that will always bring a firearm to a knife fight. I'm a HUGE believer in the 21ft rule. If the knife is in evidence and you're past the 21ft mark, I'll have the firearm out at low ready while giving you commands. If you're inside that 21ft span and make an aggressive move towards me with that knife, I'll have my firearm up at high ready as I prepare to index a moving target.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Thats the same reason a 7" blade has less defensive use as a 3ft bar stool.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:24 am

I don't advocate using a knife to defend against another knife. I'm from the school of thought that says a rock is what I use to get my hands on a club, the club is what I use to get a sword (if I can get a hold of a knife then, I'll create a make-shift spear with the knife on the end of the club), so that I can get my hands on a firearm.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 am

Its all about range, thats the only defense against bladed weapons. I picture you in my mind armed with a barstool with 4 random edc blades on each leg now.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:03 am

Breacher01 wrote:Its all about range, thats the only defense against bladed weapons. I picture you in my mind armed with a barstool with 4 random edc blades on each leg now.

If it makes you smile, fantastic.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 am

I guess you had a laugh also? this is a topic with many different statistics, and doctrines having a different opinion on the subject. did we mention to run the opposite way already? thats my favorite.

I wear 20j needle resistent vests on my commute, and an 3A with saapi's when at work, but knive fights tend to cut you everywhere you arent protected. Recently we had to treat 2 civilians who attacked eachother with knives until they both bled out. There aint enough celox on my pack to treat an arterial bleeding in the armpit and groin as fast as i want, and i carry 2 pouches of 15g. besides that they had cuts everywhere imaginable.

they both seemed to be able to fight for a while, I dont know how long. We used 3 IFAK's (6x 15g celox, 3x 4" israeli bandages, 1x 6" israeli bandage and 3x CAT G7's) before it was safe for medical personel to get in. Since Afghanistan i never seen this much trauma on any person.

Maybe our aussie friend has a good tip on woundpacking an armpit or so, but this i will never forget. drug are bad.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:55 am

Can't argue with your points. When I left EMS, QuikClot was still fairly new.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 am

You also were an ems...

funny what kind of people want to discuss cqb combat.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:17 am

Breacher01 wrote:You also were an ems...

funny what kind of people want to discuss cqb combat.

I got my National Registry EMT-P certification while I was in the Army, teaching police officers in foreign lands about CQB, Defensive Tactics and Weapon Retention. I was a certified paramedic from '87 to '00, spent time as a fire medic on a busy city department, also. I've been teaching CQB, DT and WR for a lot longer than that. See the dichotomy?
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:58 pm

Can you explain 'dichotomy' in your own words?

i can make out its meaning from the context, but its not in my vocabulary, and i think its rarely used.

Anyways i have some courses to, im a:

Dutch red cross first aid volunteer including reanimation.
Had military training in self aid and comrade aid.
Am trained to fight fires with small means like extinguisers, wall mounted hoses and even hall-full coffee cans.
I'm allowed to test and certificate 230v appliances, 400v appliances, portable climbing gear like ladders and scaffolds and climbing harnesses and rappeling equipment(and my own parachutes).
I'm allowed to drive everything like cars, motors, tractors, pallettrucks, trucks, armored vehicles up to 25 metric tonnes and everything with bleu lights and bells and horns.

see the dichotomy :D Its and endless list of certificates and training/courses If i was to write my own CV(resume) now idd had to ask the ministry of defence for a full list.

Explosives is still a wish though, but its good to have goals ahead.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:41 am

I think that you misunderstood the meaning. A dichotomy is a contradiction in action. An EMT who practices CQB is one example. A doctor that gives out health advice while doing the exact opposite in their own life would be another example. How about a fictional character? Hannibal Lector from the movie Silence of the Lambs is a good example of a dichotomy. A psychiatrist that kills and eats people that he's supposed to help.
Your training sounds quite impressive, however.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Im often told by higher ranking officers our training costs twice that of someone flying a jet fighter.

It includes first-aid, fire control, firearms training, coaching techniques for negotiation, unarmed combat, fast-driving, ballistics, CQB tactics, hazardous materials safety, breaching techniques, boobytraps and daily training with all of our equipment.

I guess its so expensive because we hardly ever finish a course without any calls for duty.
Breacher01

Return to Knife Fighting