Left of Bang (Patrick Horne, Jason A. Riley)

Moderator: jimothy_183

Left of Bang (Patrick Horne, Jason A. Riley)

Postby PhillipFortner8613 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps' Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life

Just got this book — initially just went through the pages without going into the content in depth YET so I'm not done reading the book — and it's a great book so far. The first pages also introduced me to some facts about US history which I didn't know before. Refresher about Cooper's color code — something similar from Gabe Suarez' book.

Skimming through the book I learnt to understand quite a few cues I frequently see but haven't actually seen (understood) them. Quite a few examples with more than 400 pages of information in the book.

I got this book because I believed it was mentioned on this website a while back but I found no traces of it when I ran the book through the search function which is why I decided to post it here.

Book has a 73% 5-star rating on Amazon. You can get it for free on Amazon if you get it with Audible.

Overall, excellent read so far.
PhillipFortner8613

Re: Left of Bang (Patrick Horne, Jason A. Riley)

Postby Breacher01 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:17 am

It seems like you are advertising this book here, but if I can get a digital copy i'll print it at work and see if its worth to read. If its worth reading i'll get my employer to buy it for our library.
Breacher01

Postby PhillipFortner8613 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:16 am

As others have posted in this section — a book and their opinion/review on it — I have listed a book, that I've just only skimmed through, with some details and my review from quick-skimming through it. It's a great read for police officers, security officers, army officers or just a civilian. You could consider it advertising, yeah, but I am just publicizing/recommending this to the users because it's a great read and more than 80% of the people who've purchased it agree so.

I just got this book but I'm unsure if I should distribute it among others on a public forum as that might get admin in trouble.

You can try getting a glimpse of the book on amazon by clicking 'see inside' though, if that helps.
PhillipFortner8613

Postby Breacher01 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:03 pm

I don't mind it at all, actually I will go and check the book out.

We have a pretty comprehensive public library over here, and everything they don't have with an ISBN number they will buy for you if you desire to have the book, on paper or in digital formats.

Did you know the first public library was opened in 1452 in Britain, and even the Greeks and Romans thought a library was one of the main pillars of a developed society?

Can you just explain to me how 80% is equal to 73%, even when you round the number its still 70%. I guess I haven't spent enough time in the library.
Breacher01

Postby PhillipFortner8613 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:26 pm

73% of the readers gave it a five-star rating and 15% of the raters have given it a four-star rating. From reviewing the reviews on the book posted by the readers, most four-star ratings were given either due to the lack of illustrations — due to their purchase of an audio book — or due to lack of (for some) and more than necessary (for some) examples or due to the more than necessary use of terminology. Totaling the 4 and 5 star ratings is an 88% percentage so I averaged it off to a "more than 80%."

Before you buy the book, though, some have reviewed the book this way:

By W. Weaston September 17, 2016 wrote:The concepts are great, but if your not new to the game its stuff you already know. That being said this book gives you labels to things you were doing but didn't have a name for.
On the other hand, if you are new to Situational Awareness concept and protecting yourself and recognizing bad guys before they act, then this book is certainly a required reading.

Other customers who are in the military, police, etc. have posted a substantial number of positive reviews with opinions opposing the one above.

My point being is that even though more than 80% of the readers have given it a good rating, you may not find this book too useful specially if you're not new to the concept but even then it can be a great refresher for you.
PhillipFortner8613

Postby Breacher01 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:26 am

Maybe its not for me then, In my own unit we usually call thing what they are, when they are, where they are in our native language, but we are specialized in calling everything not to descriptive, and rarely use acronyms because it freaks out uniforms and civilians.

This forum for me is a struggle. Its a good thing we train with other western European units quite often so we can learn some 1st grade English together...
Breacher01

Postby Breacher01 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm reading the book now, and the first thing that strikes me is that "left of the bang" means on the side before shit hits the fan, and "right of the bang" is after the fan has been shat on. While in western europe you should never say anything containing the word 'right' when you mean trouble with other units, maybe from different countries. Everyone knows right is a direction, and everything going right or alright is a good thing. In dutch in particular we even have a phrase loosely translated "This situation is going left fast." Indicating there are strong signals the situation is going "right of the bang fast."

That is even regional jargon I think. But any phrase containing "Right" isn't used over here just like your artillery don't say five in counts because it resembles the order "fire".

I haven't got time to read the book beyond the first sentences because I have driven over 600km to work today. (but I did it in slightly under 0345hrs in a 2600kg car :) )

Update1: I've nearly read the first chapter, and get the idea. Its not so much related to my job, because I mainly arrest high risk individuals, or respond to active and deadly threats. My Information before arriving is mostly dead accurate, and doesn't offer much chance of staying "left of the bang". We are the bang and we know a scary amount of information before we turn the cars off.

In my time as a security contractor I just might have shot less rounds, if this information got to me. Probably not 8)

This information seems to me to be more applicable to my private time off duty the on the job. As I said we are the bang(If everything turn out right). To Uniformed police and Military personnel I think the 'mindset' this book is about seems more of an enhancement or re-thinking of your awareness. Before I have time to read on this is it guys.

Stay safe.
Breacher01

Return to Books