create a planning :Mind Map , checklist, todo, other ideas ?

Moderator: jimothy_183

create a planning :Mind Map , checklist, todo, other ideas ?

Postby bria » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:20 pm

Hello,

Which best representation could be used to create/validate a planning ?

Sorry if this question seems "dumb" for the operators. I frequently come across this style of troubles in my job. And my domain (computer science) is, nominally, in answering/relieve theses troubles. I was thinking that It could be the same in other domains :)
Trying to find a useful, yet easily used and modified representation "checklist/help" is surprisingly difficult for me.
(simple graph, tree, didn't seem to do the jobs).

My goals in this question are multiples
  • Be sure to not forgot a specific point, which could be easily overlook, especially if that's not a standard intervention.
  • Minimize the overload by dropping early un-useful information for the actual planning.
  • Yet, stock these informations in case the planning must be changed (for example, following the operation and re-establishing a new plan).
  • Easily modified, so it could follow multiples iterations in training, to achieve the best shape for the actual leader.
  • Help leader wanabee/... to have a guideline.
  • Use the contribution of multiples, specialized team, to aggregate their information and "upgrade" the information of all the teams (scatter and gather :) )

I've begin to test graphviz at my little level (not even wanabee) , but it quickly become "very cloudy", and so wasn't really satisfied with this solution.
You could see my test here :
https://sharkwing2.briaeros007.org/doku ... ndbox:plan
(you could easily see the syntax of the graph if you click on the pencil at the right. of this page. )

Do you had/have the same problem ?
If yes, do you use a specific workflow/protocol/... to help organize the planning ?
bria

Re: create a planning :Mind Map , checklist, todo, other ide

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:12 pm

I do my job, with the same people in general, 2-4 times a day on most days while on-duty. You develop and maintain skills about ROE, equipment failure including comm's and every other unplanned event quite fast. New team members are always combined with experienced ones, and care is taken no team is going on action with too many rookies, that's dangerous.

Me and most of my colleagues have seen every malfunction, equipment failure, planning failure and plans failing before arriving so many times we can cope, and choose to delay, dismiss or go through with an objective.

When I did contract work I noticed right away they sent me in with some cowboys with overrated C.V.'s (resume). I fulfilled my last contract and got the fuck back to my original job, because a four man team which is made up of people from 4 different backgrounds, levels of training and time in the field should not be put into combat. Some nationalities I will not mention specifically have the worst Urban combat/Security/CQB skills I've ever seen. And my respect for Indian military and Indonesian military is ever since greater than some western countries you might think of when you think about them training good soldiers.

I'm glad I could get back to working for the MoD/Police again. Experience and knowing your team are the things that keep you alive when circumstances change for the worst.
Breacher01

Postby bria » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:25 pm

After some (big) delay, thanks for your in-depth reply :)
bria

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Here's the really in depth for you. I cant provide you with checklists. Your situation is also unclear, so ill keep it real simple.

I studied information and communication technologies once, and are very familiar with the cisco 7 layer/tcp systems, to name a few cornerstones, and did my time scripting in java, c hash, and (greatest tool ever) shell for quite some time.

With my reasonable computer skills(even counter-strike obviously) I think can tell you the main difference, and obvious elephant in the room type problem you will never be able to overcome. Namely this:

1. Computers will always follow predictable rules. Sometimes the amount or unpredictable ones will show up, but they still follow rules.

2. Tactical situations involving criminals, or anyone else who is going to use force to stop you achieving your objective is most likely highly unpredictable, and IRL a situation can have infinite variables.

Computer sciences never deal with infinity. Even a random number generator is written by rules and therefore has an amount of predictable behavior.

There are however things you can do in preparation to minimize unforeseen flaws.

- Make sure anyone has the maximum intelligence on a given situation, sometimes even the opposition.
- Make sure everyone on your side is healthy, experienced, knowledgeable and prepared.
- Make sure all you equipment is in place, functioning as close to flawless as possible.

- Try to make sure you keep the initiative.
- Try to take as much experience and hands on information from every mistake.
- Try to take as much experience and hands on information from every action, success or any other outcome.
- Try to take input on your own behavior, equipment and the results from everyone who has an opinion and is on your side.

- Hope everyone makes it out unharmed, including your opponent.

In my mind the equipment you take with you is just as important as the experience you take back. Being experienced is something you want in preparation, but only gain with actual boots on the ground. Debriefing is worth more than a funky new tac-lite or gadget.
Breacher01

Return to Planning