Duty pistol thoughts (deputy/patrol)

Moderator: jimothy_183

Iamsheepdog

Duty pistol thoughts (deputy/patrol)

Post by Iamsheepdog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:54 pm

I am currently preparing myself for county law enforcement and in our county we are able to choose our own gun and caliber being the caliber be above .38 special. I found the S&w M&p was a comfortable fit for me and has been very reliable and very simple to operate. I chose 45 acp and capacity is 10+1, my question is if anyone else has experience with this firearm and their opinions on it for a duty weapon.
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"- Sun Tzu

Breacher01

Re: Duty pistol thoughts (deputy/patrol)

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:37 pm

I have used(in sequence): Colt 1911; Walther P5/P99; Glock 17; H&K USP Tactical .45/Compact 9x19 P.

I am now back with my USP .45, but i enjoy shooting my Berreta M92f in my spare time.

Your S&W "glock replica's" should do fine. Most of the work on polymer full frame handguns has already been done 25 years ago bij glock, walther, steyr and heckler and koch. It saves quite some ounces on the gun, and there aren't any real problems with polymere framed guns.

the calibre you choose is much more important, because it dictates your stopping power, but also you ammo supply. I personally think .40 is a good cartridge, but not very standardised. For normal policework you don't want a .45acp. 9x19mm Parrabellum rounds seem the way to go.

so my advice, get yourself a fullframe polymere 9mm handgun with a staggered magazine.

Iamsheepdog

Post by Iamsheepdog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Cool thanks for the input, I do remember glock did file a law suit on smith for some copyright things, but I have really enjoyed that pistol and it's not to heavy as you said. As far as ammo capacity you are correct comparing 9 to 45, 9 always packs more and ammo is much lighter as well. The desicion between the two calibers has been tough for me to decide, they both can get the job done equally and score on certain aspects of purpose closely, but I'm not really for or against both these calibers and while 9mm may expand on impact and end up size of 45acp but the 45 doesn't shrink lol so wound cavity by 45 would create more trauma, not in all scenarios but generally speaking. But I def will look into the new sigs in 9mm, 40 isn't a go for me either, high pressure load and gets a lot of muzzle jump so it's a snappy round if your shooting quick on a target but 45 to me is more of a push but not so much muzzle rise but that's just me
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"- Sun Tzu

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:33 am

My duty weapon has always been a Sig Sauer. I carried a Sig P220 .45 in the Army. Now, it's a P226 9mm. I've always trusted Sig and love shooting them for their low recoil and stellar workmanship. I've fired other pistols (Beretta 92F in the Army, the Glock 17, 19 and the 23, the Springfield XD, the Walther PPK, the 1911 .45ACP and the HK .45 USP. As well as the Colt Python and Ruger Redhawk revolvers) but, have never been tempted away from my Sig. I have to say that If I was gonna trade in my Sig for anything, it would be the HK USP.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:07 am

I recently bought a M92f tactical for sports. Its a full frame model of the "M9" in 9x19 with a threaded(14mm ccw) barrel and raised match sights. Mine says berreta, but you may know it as the m9.

I have a silencer with it, but using it is illegal over here. I've taken it to the range a few times, but the unusual sliding frame and the large grip cause me to have difficulty shooting it fast. Does any (ex-)GI have some tips for me?

Return to “Weapons”