Mag fed support weapons for rifle squad/sections

Moderator: jimothy_183

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jimothy_183
Military
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mag fed support weapons for rifle squad/sections

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:46 pm

The USMC has adopted the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle as either a replacement or supplement to it's M249 SAW. While no other service I know of is following this as of yet could this be a new trend or concept on the rise?

I believe the rationale behind this is because of the fact that the US Marines have been in many urban engagements in the last decade and a half that the need for a more light weight weapon at the squad level was needed to optimise performance in urban areas.

While I am old school and am more of a fan of the more traditional green role style of warfare I can see the need for the fielding of such a weapon I would not however think that a total replacement of the belt fed light machine gun to be a wise move.

@ 3:45

@ 4:01

The idea of having a mag fed support weapon is not new as this was done in WWII with weapons such as the BAR being the support weapon of US squads at the time.

Discuss...
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Re: Mag fed support weapons for rifle squad/sections

Post by Ryan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:17 am

As we talked about before, could not see this happening with Australia or Britain. Maybe SF but not conventional forces.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Weapons”