Why is the M4 so popular?

Moderator: jimothy_183

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ryan

Why is the M4 so popular?

Post by Ryan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:36 am

Why do you guys think this?

And, the HK416 is becoming more popular in teams, like the MP5 vs MP7, why do you think?

Last edited by Ryan on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Why is the M4 so popular?

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 am

http://www.cqb-team.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&start=20
jimothy_183 wrote:This article explains a few things.
Goldfish memory? :lol:
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

El Freddio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by El Freddio » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:37 am

If you ask me, the M4 has got a lot of things the MP5 doesn't. The .223 can go through armour if needed, but can also have hollow points or other types of ammo so when you shoot the bad guy, the round doesn't put a hole in everything behind him :lol: . It also has a lot of aftermarket products (stocks, scopes, barrels, RIS, etc), it's lighter than most carbines with comparable barrel length and is proven. I think the M4 is a little long for CQB, but you can get shorter barrel AR type weapons. It's also worth noting that the AR-15 can be attapted to many rounds, from .22 LR to .50 BMG. This means less training between different platforms :) . The MP5 is a good weapon, but for about $1000, compared to a little more (normally) for decent AR-15, it's a little costly, espically if your department is low on money (then again, if we went on price, we'd all just have AKs :mrgreen: ).

On the HK 416, I think its a bad idea putting a different gas system into a rifle (ie, from Direct Inpingment to Short Stroke), but if it works, it works I guess :P
From the Armchair Commando :P

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:22 am

Interesting.

What about the C8 -- even more applicable, the C8 CQB or C8 SFW?

:o

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:16 pm

I don't see the C7/C8 series being a whole lot different to the M16/M4 series?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:31 am

I think it's a little lighter, the standard C8 I think has more attachment points off the bat (for certain products). C8 SFW and CQB are used heavily by SF teams, then again so is the M4 - but I wonder why they'd choose it over that. The CQB version is obviously shorter.

The C8 CQB version comes with multiple-rails and collapsable sights. The C7/C8 out-of-the-box, has limited rails and fixed front-sight.

It's Canadian. :lol:

Few others things, I've forgot. :)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:21 am

I don't know about the weight thing nor do I know why it is so popular by SF teams but what I do know for sure is that Colt and Colt Canada (formerly known as Diemaco as is the maker of the C7/C8) all have equivilant products.

C8 SFW = M4 SOPMOD

C8 CQB = MK18

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:35 am

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Any thoughts on the SCAR?

tire iron

Post by tire iron » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:50 am

The SCAR is pretty nice. It is balanced incredibly well. Recoil impulse is different than an M4 or an AK. Controls are completely ambi - which I really like. Very reliable. I would take into harms way with zero reservations.

cheers

tire iron
Your enemies desire to live is probably more powerful than the ammunition you are carrying. Plan accordingly
http://tireironscorner.blogspot.com
http://tireironblog.com

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:28 am

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:34 am

Return to “Weapons”