Best pistol cartridge dillema

Moderator: jimothy_183

Best pistol cartridge dillema

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:22 pm

What do you guys think is the best pistol cartridge for police work?

The dillema I think about is stopping power versus possible over-penetration versus magazine capacity versus cartridge weight.

Personally I think 9mm PB is low on stopping power, but usefull for policework on the other points. I think I would prefer .40cal, but I've only shot those at paper. .38 is maybe my second choice.

Lets hear your thoughts.
Breacher01

Re: Best pistol cartridge dillema

Postby Tigerbait » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:33 am

I would say whatever allows for more accurate and faster follow up shots. Since pistols have limited stopping power to begin with, accuracy would be the most important imo.
Tigerbait

Postby Breacher01 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:43 am

I can shoot a 12x12cm(5") card up to 50m(150ft) accurately with no problems with any handgun. accuracy is not the problem.

Im focussed on stopping power, possible over-penetration, magazine capacity and cartridge weight, as stated in my post.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:32 am

.38 can over penetrate, depending on what your backstop is. I've always liked the Sig P220, personally. 10 rds in the magazine .45 caliber. I'm a Sig guy, though. Nothing else handles like a Sig, for me.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:34 pm

A loaded p226 weighs around 2 pounds, while a similar chambered pistol with equal barrel lengt with a polymer frame might weigh 700 or 800 grams. Keep in mind I carry mine everywhere when i'm awake. compared with the vest i wear and other edc items its quite the workout. Especially on days when you work for 20 hours.

I own a p228 myself, and I love the feeling and craftsmanship it has, even while I used it for 12 years. I just don't want it to weigh me down all day.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 am

I carried the P-220, in the Army, for over six years, on extended deployments, in a thigh holster. For the last 13 years, I've carried the same firearm, a different P-220, in another thigh holster. I guess it all depends on what you're used to. I'm not partial to polymers.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:37 pm

but do you wear a IIIA vest and a sidearm with 2 extra magazines every hour you are awake? Weight matters, in my opinion, and personally I havent seen polymer framed pistols fail because of their polymer frame.

I believe the current generation of polymer framed pistols are just as reliable als full metal pistols. Metal is a more predictable material to manufacture, and will not likely change over time. But I think plastic guns are reliable enough for duty and edc porposses.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:00 pm

Breacher01 wrote:but do you wear a IIIA vest and a sidearm with 2 extra magazines every hour you are awake? Weight matters, in my opinion, and personally I havent seen polymer framed pistols fail because of their polymer frame.

I believe the current generation of polymer framed pistols are just as reliable als full metal pistols. Metal is a more predictable material to manufacture, and will not likely change over time. But I think plastic guns are reliable enough for duty and edc porposses.

Again, it's all what you become accustomed to. If I'm not carrying an extra 25-30lbs around between my fully stocked plate carrier (radio, magazines, Taser, 2 sets of handcuffs, expandible baton, etc) and drop holster with my P220, I don't feel fully dressed.
As to the polymer issue, that's a personal preference for me. For example, the FN 509 is a fantastic firearm but, not what I would prefer. I've shot it and like it, I just don't want to carry it.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 am

My universal key weighs more then that :D

I once weighed my complete gear I personally take to every entry, and its close to 110 pounds, with an extra 70 pounds carried by my collegues. However most of that is in the trunk of my up-armored Audi.

I don't really have working hours, I can be called 24 hours a day and get ordered to drive 200km in under 80 minutes. when i'm doing groceries I cannot wear plate carriers, ballistic helmets with visor, or obvious weapons, because my exact identity needs to remain a secret because I work with the most dangerous customers western europe has to offer.

Did you ever shoot the FN FiveseveN? Thats a great pistol cartidge for urban work.
Very high velocity, low recoil, very low weight, limited penetration but good against soft armor because of the high muzzle velocity. I believe it holds 20+1 rounds.

Its the same cartridge the P90 stacks 50+1 of. 5,7mm FN.
Breacher01

Return to Weapons