Recommended night sights for pistol?

Moderator: jimothy_183

Recommended night sights for pistol?

Postby Iamsheepdog » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:26 pm

I have been looking at some truglo sights and tritium sights by trijicon, what does anyone recommend for a good set up that isn't just a gimmick?
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"- Sun Tzu
Iamsheepdog

Re: Recommended night sights for pistol?

Postby tacticalguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:00 am

I have the tritium sights on my duty weapon. It all depends on your needs. Are you able to attach a tac-light? That might suit your needs best.
I'm gonna move this thread to a more appropriate section on gear.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Iamsheepdog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:16 am

Thank you, I definitely wanted to stick with tritium but the configuration as far as the 3 dot or all other variations I wasn't sure how others thought about some of the cap sights and Truglo, wich all have variations of where the tritium glows on the sights, I just want the sights to put main focal point on front sight and work well in day or night
"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"- Sun Tzu
Iamsheepdog

Postby tacticalguy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:16 am

I like the tritium. My duty weapon is a Sig Sauer P-226. I prefer their sight setup as opposed to the Glock tritium sights. It seems more intuitive-friendly, to me at least. When it comes to the instinctive snap shooting, anyway.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Iamsheepdog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:04 am

Thank you for the input, definitely instant pop from the front sight is what I want so il check out the sigs config
Iamsheepdog

Postby Breacher01 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:25 pm

I employ a laser pointer with a 400Lm tactical light on my new H&K USP. Its not a standard ris rail, so finding a light is quite hard.

Aiming with glowing night sights, is that just for at the range?
Breacher01

Postby Iamsheepdog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:04 pm

No this is actually for my S&w M&p, I still have the factory sights on it and I'm going to be using it for a duty pistol. It has the rail for the light but I am curious about opinions on what aftermarket sights to put on it. It's just plain factory 3 dot sights with no tritium so I been looking at a lot of sight configurations but a lot are gimmicks and just looking for day/night sights that are tough and function properly, like the trijicon Hd sights
Iamsheepdog

Postby Breacher01 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:39 am

I still recommend a light and laser. the light can be used to blind your opponent, and the laser is as usefull as it is intimidating.

I use the same at work under a glock/usp and have see many people just drop their weapon while i just flashed the laser. Watch out with strobe lights in the dark, because they also ruin your night sight and orientation.

Glowing night sights can be good if you want to keep your position to yourself, but in that case you will als need a silencer and raised sights. If you have the choice go for illuminated sights, but dont expect much from them when you are in distress. Also a tactical light will illuminate your target, and more important whats around him. The most important thing about your sight picture should be to see what you don't want to hit like innocent bystanders. You should have a clear view of your target and whats next to him or behind him to prevent accidents.

As my final argument for a light i would like to point out flashlights draw a lot of attention if seen, and could get first responders or help known of your situation. If your legaly defnding yourself, loved ones or posetions this is a bonus.

A P226 may be expensive and very heavy, but they work like a swiss watch. Polymere framed guns are more practical because of the weight(you could take a spare magazine with a g17 and still carry less weight with around) and more affordable.

Let us know what your choice will be.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:08 am

Breacher01 wrote:I still recommend a light and laser. the light can be used to blind your opponent, and the laser is as usefull as it is intimidating.

I use the same at work under a glock/usp and have see many people just drop their weapon while i just flashed the laser. Watch out with strobe lights in the dark, because they also ruin your night sight and orientation.

Glowing night sights can be good if you want to keep your position to yourself, but in that case you will als need a silencer and raised sights. If you have the choice go for illuminated sights, but dont expect much from them when you are in distress. Also a tactical light will illuminate your target, and more important whats around him. The most important thing about your sight picture should be to see what you don't want to hit like innocent bystanders. You should have a clear view of your target and whats next to him or behind him to prevent accidents.

As my final argument for a light i would like to point out flashlights draw a lot of attention if seen, and could get first responders or help known of your situation. If your legaly defnding yourself, loved ones or posetions this is a bonus.

A P226 may be expensive and very heavy, but they work like a swiss watch. Polymere framed guns are more practical because of the weight(you could take a spare magazine with a g17 and still carry less weight with around) and more affordable.

Let us know what your choice will be.

Agreed on all points.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Thank you kindly, sir.
Breacher01

Return to Weapons