Is the (US)policeforce militarising?

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Breacher01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is the (US)policeforce militarising?

Post by Breacher01 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Today at the office we watched a documentary mainly about the US LE Depts Militarizing.

The general direction of the documentary was about the Ferguson protests, that turned into riots when tear gas was deployed, but also the equipment the US LEO had available. Also order 1033(or something similar) equipping LE with military hardware.

The footage consisted of scene's from Ferguson, a failed drug bust and political discussion on several levels.

Fun Fact1: Some US county having only one sworn-in officer had 2 MRAP 22 tonnes armored vehicles standby.
Fun Fact2: Bayonets were distributed among LEO's while official orders declare nothing else about bayonets but the fact they are not to be used for crowd control, under any circumstance.
Sad Fact1: While a so-called drug dealers house was breached the swat team could only find crumbs of pot on his property, but a few windows were smashed, and the door frame destroyed the guy was arrested and released the same day without formal charges.
Sad Fact2: The overseeing officer declared this kind of violence was a normal result of the war on drugs, and every deployment had a 50/50% chance of success.
Sad Fact3: In the '80's(I believe) SWAT had 3.000 deployments, in 2014 the number was 55.000.

The footage shot in Ferguson was quite hilarious to my colleagues who were once involved in crowd control. The fact that police moved in on (at that time) a relatively peaceful protest aiming AR's at the crowd, moving in with Humvee's and MRAP's and carrying MICH helmets, ballistic shields, long arms and 40mm potato poppers with tear gas seemed absolutely overdone, its not Uruzgan...

Also the timing of the barrage of teargas from their armored vehicles seemed overdone. In Britain the police force carry only batons when surveilling, yet they are of the most feared in Europe. The persons who planned the response in the riots I just watched are either insane, power drunk or racist. I was never in Ferguson, so I have no knowledge about things that were not in this documentary and other news I've seen regarding it.

How are you going to defend yourself against an unarmed angry black person? with a riot shield or with a m4? The first is defence, the second murder in my humble opinion.

enough about my thoughts. I believe the US military is not allowed to operate on American soil, is that the reason they couch up 39.000.000$ to put armored personnel carriers on US soil? Why do policemen responding to a protest need all of that military hardware?

tacticalguy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Is the (US)policeforce militarising?

Post by tacticalguy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:54 am

Posse Comitatus prevents the use of federal troops on U.S. soil to enforce laws.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Cops here have all that gear in TRGs. But it's the way it's used.

BAYONETS AT THE READY!

But then again you blokes have way more crime than us. Including organised crime and international syndicates.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:01 pm

Ryan wrote:Cops here have all that gear in TRGs. But it's the way it's used.
We do use the m416 sometimes when defending objects against terrorist threats we get from intelligence, but that's mostly because the mp5mk2 with 9mm parabellum does little damage to vehicles for example. Normal officers in western Europe never handle anything more powerful then a 9mm Walther. Riot police does wear sidearms, and have various non lethal weapons at their exposal, but don't use it much because protests over here never grow to massive crowd control situations like the Ferguson protests(read riots if you want).
Ryan wrote:BAYONETS AT THE READY!
Roger, will co.
Ryan wrote:But then again you blokes have way more crime than us. Including organized crime and international syndicates.
I know your location, but where do you get the idea from we (me EU) and maybe US have more crime, organized or not? My country has a lot more trade in drugs than any random country, import as well as fabrication and export are quite high, comparable numbers to Canada for example, but we only have 17.000.000 residents on a stretch of land smaller then a stamp on every map.

I think the US has a serious problem with their laws and penile system, crowding jails with relatively low level offenders. If that is a signal of more crime is a study in its self, but apparently there are a lot of people brought in front of judges.

In my country we rent out cells to neighboring countries, because we have more cells then we need.

Return to “Gear - General Discussions”