Whats your multitool and why?

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Breacher01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Whats your multitool and why?

Post by Breacher01 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:12 pm

I have the Leatherman Supertool 300, because its the biggest leatherman i could find. I dont carry it on my body all day, so the biggest seemed the best.

Whats your Multi-tool and why?

tacticalguy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Whats your multitool and why?

Post by tacticalguy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:05 am

Gerber Diesel-Stainless. Versatility and durability. I have given it absolute hell. Among other things, I helped wedge a locked car door open with it and it is still working perfectly, 9 1/2 years later. It's 11 years old. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Why did I buy a Gerber? When I was in the U.S. Army, I had purchased a Gerber Mark II/BA3 at the suggestion of a senior NCO that I highly respected. It served me very well.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Is that the NSN 5110-01-540-0186?

It looks very hard to handle with gloves, but if you like it so much I might give it a try.

I can get one for free if I want. How is it built, with rivets?

Btw, do you have to buy these kinds of equipment yourself in your unit?

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:00 am

Breacher01 wrote:Is that the NSN 5110-01-540-0186?

It looks very hard to handle with gloves, but if you like it so much I might give it a try.

I can get one for free if I want. How is it built, with rivets?

Btw, do you have to buy these kinds of equipment yourself in your unit?
The serial started with A10. I remember that. I haven't owned it since about '96, it got lost in a move. Yes, it was interesting learning to handle it. I can't say that I remember anything about rivets being used in the construction but, I do remember that it had a fused handle and the blade wasn't stainless.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Did you find out the hard way the blade wasn't stainless?

What do you mean with fused handles, spot welds or something similar?

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:25 am

Breacher01 wrote:Did you find out the hard way the blade wasn't stainless?

What do you mean with fused handles, spot welds or something similar?
I knew that it wasn't stainless when I bought it. It was "tool" steel.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:12 pm

everything on a multi-TOOL is tool steel isn't it? Gerber sometimes is pretty vague about the steel type used. I guess they mean the knife is made of a more suitable steel for maintaining an edge, of ease of sharpening, compared to the rest of the tools.

If you got that so long ago its probably 420 or 440 or something similar.

The leatherman ST300 has 2 blades made of 420HC(High Carbon), that's a relatively corrosion resistant steel, and not that great for knives. It can be made very durable, but that's all depending on the heat treatment. Most Chinese crap is also 420/440 steel. the cutters are replaceable and made out of 154cm steel. On their website they claim its lasts about 3 times longer then 420... I wander why they didn't took the effort of making the blades of this material as well. It is durable. I've cut 1/4" nails by putting the pliers on the ground and putting my foot on it.

I'm still waiting for the multi-tool with electrically insulated cutters, but I doubt something like that exists yet.

Return to “Gear - General Discussions”