Armor plate carrier, vest, or chest rig?

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
civiliansheepdog
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Armor plate carrier, vest, or chest rig?

Post by civiliansheepdog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:12 am

Noob question, which one would I get if I wanted to carry magazines and other accessories with me? A armor plate carrier, vest or a chest rig? It seems the armor plate carrier you can put and modify stuff with it. And if I decided to get an armor plate carrier how does the set-up usually look like? Like what's the minimum and most important piece of equipment to put it on? Confused on what to get with researching and looking around hahah. Thanks

jimothy_183
Military
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Armor plate carrier, vest, or chest rig?

Post by jimothy_183 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 am

What do you need your fighting load to do? Are you expecting to be in a short operation that will last only a few hours or are you expecting to be outside the wire for a few days? You might want to take more ammo and less food/water or you might want it the other way around.

You also might want to look into getting waist webbing. From what I have been told you can usually carry more stuff in waist webbing than any of the other stuff. Also another thing is that while all those systems that you wear on your chest are great for MOUT/CQB because of the high speed of access to your equipment they also give you a higher centre of gravity and puts more load on your core muscles. And don't forget that because all your stuff is on your chest laying prone for a long period of time can become uncomfortable as you are lying on top of all your gear.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

civiliansheepdog

Post by civiliansheepdog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks for the advice

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:33 am

If you JUST wanted magazines you could get an LBV, belt as suggested is another good solution. Plate carrier on the other hand is pushing more towards personal lines of defense with associated cons i.e. weight, cost. So, as Jimothy said it depends on your application and therefore that creates some natural criteria to your gear selection. If it's on the range versus if it's down-range. It sounds like you want multi-purpose, for accessories as well as specifically rifle magazines. Set-ups with plate carrier usually depend on role criteria and equipment, where you naturally feel comfortable. That's where the confusions comes in - personal opinion counts on these subjects to some more than what would suit you as an individual. Belt order, gear placement can differ greatly but it all comes down to that nuclei of personalization.

I actually asked around for some gear layouts because I am also interested in what others do. A mate who is in 16AA simply said this: "The less pouches, the less shit you have to carry; I had six magazines, one fragmentation grenade, one smoke grenade, basically an IFAK and an admin panel." In those terms Grenade-Pouch 1 pouch =/= 1 grenade. The IFAK was six tourniquet, six Israeli bandages, morphine and so on. Everything must be in reach and not inhibit movement. And when you think of magazine placement on gear, don't just think "chest rig", think your weapons stock and places outside the square. Just so you know, he also said layouts are "Gay" and "For airsofters." :lol:

The most important equipment and items to utilize must be at the forefront of your gear, the places you can access easily and in contingency situations like with one hand. They split this into "lines". The second line - your fighting gear, the combat gear. The third line is "what keeps you going for extended periods of time." That is split from protective equipment, communications and such in this website GEARSOC: http://board.gearsoc.com/index.php. I hope you check it out, it really is an informative website in that sense.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

civiliansheepdog

Post by civiliansheepdog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Nice, thanks

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:59 pm

in 2016 i say go for a plate carrier, since every opponent shoots an AKM /AK-47. Get level 3 panels and a ceramic SAPI plate for your front and back.

The addition of a groin pad, shoulder and side pads and a neck protector for shrapnel make your torso almost bulletproof, but very bullet resistant at least. Depending on your mission they also make you combat ineffective, unable to cover ground etc.

weight vs personal protection is very scale-able with the molle plate carriers in 2016, but if you overdo it you will suffer. Thats why some jobs are best done with an high cut FAST helmet, and others with a m95 helmet with a level IIIa visor and neck cover.

the balance might be made up by yourself or your superiors.

keith158

Post by keith158 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:00 am

civiliansheepdog wrote:Noob question, which one would I get if I wanted to carry magazines and other accessories with me? A armor plate carrier, vest or a Best ak chest rig ? It seems the armor plate carrier you can put and modify stuff with it. And if I decided to get an armor plate carrier how does the set-up usually look like? Like what's the minimum and most important piece of equipment to put it on? Confused on what to get with researching and looking around hahah. Thanks
In my opinion you need a bigger chest rig if you want to carry some good amount of stuffs like Mags, Grenades and Some MREs. It has many pouches that you can put your stuff in it. But if you want to carry limited amount of stuff then you can choose Armor Plate carrier and add some pouches in it to carry your stuff. The choice is yours.

I hope my suggestion will help you. :D
Last edited by keith158 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:51 pm

If you're going to possibly face full caliber rifles definitely go for a plate carrier with pouches. if you only want to only carry magazines and stuff go for a chestrig with molle loops. the style of chestrig which is basically a version of an bandolier has limitations like dedicated pouches for long rifle magazines, pistol magazines, grenade pouches, tools like multitools and fixed blade knives, and everything else you can imagine. with a molle type vest you can choose what you want to carry and what amount of it. also there are so many pouches you can choose from you can almost get one to fit your girlfriend if need be... :D

Return to “Gear - General Discussions”