High Speed Gear Strategies

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ryan

High Speed Gear Strategies

Post by Ryan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:55 pm

What would some examples of high speed gear and strategies around such include? For example, what types of chest rigs do you run which you find to be the most agile and suited for HSLD work? And another example as such - say flashbang pouches on the rear of your pointman, as #2 you can literally break them off (say velcro backing, a rip-pull or loop) and utilize the flashbang. I've heard of pins being strapped down so when you pull the FB out the pouch, the pin is pulled so you can use it FAST.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

ClearRight
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: High Speed Gear Strategies

Post by ClearRight » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Pin being strapped down sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.

In general, keep things compact and prioritize your kit. How much ammo do you actually need to carry? How much water? Skip non-essential kit and make sure you have easy access to what you really need. Make sure you can reach the critical stuff with both hands, and that you can operate your rifle from both shoulders - this will affect how you set up your rifle, too. I run a tape switch on the 12 o'clock rail so I can push it with my thumb no matter what hand I use on the handguard. This way, I won't have a light ND because I can keep my fingers away from the switch when it's not in use.
More guns and bullets make bad guys go away faster,
which in turn makes everyone in the area safer.
- Paul Howe

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Well that kind of kit compromise - being strapped down - would be for a direct and confirmed entry. The use is in mainly CT/AT teams. I'm looking at designing similar solutions which should in theory be faster than conventionally taking the flash out the pouch, pulling the pin and throwing OR for example when you're chasing a runner on a dynamic entry. Runners tend to get in and set-up in seconds.

You see where the seconds count there? The same goes with such pictures shown before in these forums of having no trigger guard. It's not an accident waiting to happen, people think in this business and develop solutions to problems - that means modifying approach and safety is in mind at all times. But you have a good point, there is a line and sometimes people cross it for more speed, less drag but at what consequence? Sometimes that can be fatal and where is the benefit then?

I think ammunition, water, food. That really depends on what kind of mission profile you're looking at. That's exactly why it's good to build a database of mission profiles. Location, length, type and frequency of activity, altitude, date (season), temperature. From such data you can modify a whole teams response to the mission and their kit. I fully agree that critical is priority.

And good tip on the pressure switch. Ambidextrous ability is a priority when working on gear and attachment placement.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

ClearRight
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ClearRight » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:40 pm

If speed really was a priority, I'd probably rather go for something like this:
http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-TACO&cat=34

As opposed to having the pin strapped down. In my head, that sounds a bit like having the safety off at all times just in case you need to use your rifle quickly. But then, I haven't tried it and I'm not that high speed either. :P
- Paul Howe

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 am

Well I didn't mean permanently strapped, as in you cannot unstrap it - otherwise it would be a safety issue. Your gear would be a ticking time bomb. :twisted: Then again there's always procedure developed around i.e. an accidental pull, you'd have to chuck it but then there'd be a compromise issue. If it's housed securely there should be less problems. Or even if the pull had to be longer to set it off. Either way it would be faster. Milliseconds like that add up to seconds, which matter in close proximity.

Just grab, pull and throw are seen in this back example.

ClearRight

Post by ClearRight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Looks similar to these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klbaL8N_VQ0

Notice at 1:30 the flashbang being thrown away because the door won't open.
- Paul Howe

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Yeah exactly, if pin is pulled and you have a jacked or delayed breach you need to chuck it. Lose fingers? No thanks.

0:24-0:26. Shown in action. Speed!

Know any manufacturers that do such?

ClearRight

Post by ClearRight » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:13 pm

I can definitely see the advantage of this. I, however, don't really have a need for that kind of speed in my job. I do like having flashbangs strapped on people's backs. This makes them easily accessible for the no 2 or 3 man (who's gonna be the one throwing the bang).

Regarding mag pouches. If you're doing DA stuff and feel the need for really fast reloads, you can cut the flap off the mag pouches, or tuck it behind the mags. If the pouch isn't tight enough, just throw some shock cord tightly around the pouch to better keep the mags in.

Holsters. I use the standard Safariland 6004, except I've replaced the thigh plate with a belt loop drop adapter (1,5 or 2 inch drop). Drops the weapon below my rig, and keeps my legs free. That lets me move more freely.

I try to keep as little as possible on my rig in general. Light is right!
- Paul Howe

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed May 08, 2013 12:51 am

Yeah, agree with flaps. See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1577 ...

Light, thinning out kit. Especially when trying to get through a doorway. A 300 pounder bodybuilder, good luck with that! A dude with huge lats and elbow sticking out, ouch. Thin down! :lol:

What do you think of 'mags on the back' instead of flashbangs? I've seen it with contractors. Inverted better or worse?

ClearRight

Post by ClearRight » Sat May 11, 2013 8:48 am

Ryan wrote:Yeah, agree with flaps. See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1577 ...

Light, thinning out kit. Especially when trying to get through a doorway. A 300 pounder bodybuilder, good luck with that! A dude with huge lats and elbow sticking out, ouch. Thin down! :lol:

What do you think of 'mags on the back' instead of flashbangs? I've seen it with contractors. Inverted better or worse?
Also, regarding thinning out kit - keep your sides clear as much as possible. Hate struggling to get through narrow places because of my kit. And definitely nothing above my handgun. Someone in my unit standardized keeping your med kit on the rear-right side of our vests. So I moved it to my pistol belt instead - basically the same placement but it doesn't get in the way of my draw. If I need my Glock, I need it right now! Note that most of our guys aren't issued sidearms.

Mags on the back... As far as I can tell, it's for keeping extra mags in case you run out. That would definitely be mission dependant. Just keep them so you can get to them, doesn't really matter which way is up. They're not for your speed reloads anyway. For a DA mission, short duration, can't really see the point. I keep 4 mags on my rig + 1 in the weapon. I figure that will suffice - if not, I've got 2 + 1 for my sidearm, plus my soldiers around me. Considering moving one mag to my belt, right behind my pistol mags, plus three on the rig in lower-profile pouches. Choices, choices... Something I'll have to try.
For a longer-duration mission, there's a bunch of other stuff I'd rather keep on my back than mags. Like a low-profile assault pack, comms, hydration... I'd rather add an extra double mag pouch on the front, or keep the mags in/on my pack. Something like CamelBak's MULE, Eagle's Yote or FirstSpear's ECP on my back or attached to my vest/rig/armour. Or a larger pack, depending on the mission. Those three packs are low-profile enough you could use them for DA for carrying that extra "stuff" you always need without the pack getting too much in the way.

Any good ideas for carrying manual breaching kit so it's easily available? I'm thinking bolt cutters and a crowbar, mainly. Was thinking about just tying some shock cord loops to the MOLLE loops on people's backs...
- Paul Howe

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 14, 2013 12:19 am

The draw... of the Israeli bandage! Haha. Interesting, thanks for the reply. I've seen some Gucci kit where you can slip your manual breaching kit down the back, like a rear kangaroo pouch. Loops would have to be put on properly so it doesn't move around or annoy the crap out of you. Tell me how it goes either way when you test out stuff.

Anyone ever use bumbags? Looks touristy... :lol: but just wondering.

ClearRight

Post by ClearRight » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Wasn't happy with mag pouch on belt. Too much other stuff on the rig getting in the way, what with mags, baton, pepper spray, TQ, comms, cuffs, dump pouch and medkit +++. The crowbars fit just nicely in the MOLLE webbing, though.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes for lightsticks to degrade when exposed to light? I've tied a loop of shock cord to my rig with cord just thick enough to fit the lightstick "hook" without it coming off. On it I carry a few unwrapped lightsticks in varying colours. Just pull them off, snap, shake and drop. No need for carabiners, 550 cord or other stuff. I also carry a few still in their wrappers in my GP pouch.
- Paul Howe

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Here's one:

Grip safety taped down on a 1911. Delta Force operator.

Background:

"Special Operations History - Finding Saddam Hussein's Sons.

Mosul, Iraq - July 22, 2003

The tip came from an Iraqi, a “walk-in” in American police lingo, and it was a hot one: Saddam Hussein’s two sons, Uday and Qusay, were holed up in a palatial house in this northern city. Since the fall of Baghdad, Saddam’s brutal heirs had been the subject of a manhunt second only to the search for their father. On the pocket-sized deck of playing cards of Iraq’s most wanted that had been issued to American soldiers, Qusay was number two, the ace of clubs, and Uday was number three, the ace of hearts. There was a $15 million bounty on each of their heads. Nawaf al-Zidan, the owner of the house where the brothers were reported to be hiding, sat calmly outside the building, smoking, drinking water and eating fruit with American soldiers. Once upon a time, Zidan had bragged of being Saddam’s kinsman, but had soured on him after the president threw his brother in jail. Was it payback time? No one was saying, but Zidan was in American custody and troops were moving into position around his house.

By 10 a.m. Special Operations soldiers and members of the 101st Airborne Division had surrounded the house and ordered the occupants to surrender. None did. Ten minutes later, soldiers entered the building and faced fire. Three soldiers were wounded, and the Americans withdrew. Over the next three hours, the Americans pounded the building, shredding its columned walls with grenades and antitank rockets, machine-gun fire and ten TOW antitank missiles. They tried and failed to get into a barricaded room on the second floor. Finally, at 1:21 PM, the Americans stormed a second-floor bedroom, taking fire from and then killing Qusay’s fourteen-year-old son, Mustafa. When the shooting stopped, three adults were found dead on a bathroom floor, the Hussein brothers and a bodyguard.

Dental records, X rays from a 1996 assassination attempt on Uday, and personal viewings by four senior members of Saddam’s government who were already in American custody all provided irrefutable proof, American military officials said, that the bodies were those of Uday and Qusay."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:03 pm

So the flashbang that unpins itself as soon as you pull it... is called a pull string. Damn it, I thought I was a step ahead. :roll:

"If you have the right pouch, you can attach a pull string to the bang and automatically pull the pin when you extend your arm." - Trevor.

"in germany not public division of rheinmetall makes 40mm stun grenades [discussing a 40mm flashbang grenade launcher], In rooms you can shoot to ceilings only for using it safe, but you can use it from exterior trough windows. FBang grenade have transporting lever and throwing safety pin. Before deploiment, you put off throwing pins from FBs, 3xpouch is made from elastic band, FBs are upstanding, throwing safety lever are close to body armor like body of FB in pouch, you catch FB from up, with thumb will press upper part of throwing lever safety and pull it out. when you throw it than its going unsafe. you can throw FBangs every time very fast, its like pistol realoading, that move of hand. you can imagine what you can do from the door with that ability. stay safe" - Tango.

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:32 pm

I can't go into detail, but speed is something we do for 15 seconds max. Our protective gear is comparable with riotgear, only everything is nij3+. It weighs a ton.

Return to “Gear - General Discussions”