Gear Tips for a Firefight

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Gear Tips for a Firefight

Post by Ryan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:31 am

A topic for all those gear tips pre-firefight and combat operations.

For instance if you're running pouch flaps you can tuck them behind your mag to do an easier speed or emergency reload.

If you're using perforated boots you mind less traction and this makes it easy to fall on wet surfaces during maritime operations.

You may be in a stealth operation, so you can use cardboard slips and fluffy material between magazines and so on to prevent noise signature. I go with any sound damper around the magazine regions - and anywhere that rattles when I do my pre-checks - and that includes cardboard boxes and fluff to soften the sound by preventing rubbing and preventing internal movement.

If you're on a vehicle-operations, a machinegunner or CQB it's best to 'gear-down' and make small changes to anything that sticks out (such as taping it down) so you don't get caught up on dismount, using pilot holsters and pistols... so on.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Re: Gear Tips for a Firefight

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:29 am

I actually found a video on one of the tips mentioned. Quick-release gear is great too, especially in a break contact where you have to dump pack (heavy, clumsy, not worth it).

And the article: http://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/load ... -a-reload/ ...

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Anyone run inverted mags? Apparently better for mag changes in certain locs like hip towards the rear area.
Seen Afghan pics with inverted 203 on the grenadier/grenadier assistants belt.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:10 pm

"First: In regards to kit and equipment the most important rule for me is: if it works for you and your team to operate and initiate, run & end an assignment safely…well that’s what you should go and live by. The ingenuity of kit and all the scientific details on new tools is all nice and pretty, but they are support to the team and all their brilliance goes straight out of the window if you or the team hasn’t got the proper routines and automatics or ability to make it work to the advantage.

Second, stay away from Velcro. My entire kit is setup with loops on the mag-pouch items and canister/grenade pouches or normal zippers for utility ones. It still beats me that there is a huge production of tactical kit still using this as a closing-element. Even if so purely in infantry.

Third, flatten noise items as much as possible. Duck anything metal or use shrink-rubber where possible. Noise reduction is a saver.

For setup, my prefs go to:

RICAS setup with config of 6 stanag pouches in the front all with loops for quick access, admin panel on top for paperwork, radio unit on the left chest (though not happy with this and trying to find another solution that actually gives quick access without being in the way or starting to stick out). Left side stacked with a large utility pouch with technical kit and quick nutrition (leatherman, fixing tools etc. …on inside layers, some bars to chew in the free space left). Underneath the UP a dropbag to easily flap for when necessary. Right side same setup without dropbag and with 2 UP’s. One on the back with personal first aid-kit with a capacity for 2 men. The one in front of that stacked with spare stanag mags. Rightleg dropleg with either the first-aid UP to free up the backside which then is replaced with canister-pouches (Depends on the required setup). For secondary attachment I opt for IMI polymer retention holsters. They’re solid, easy to operate and easily to place anywhere you find most convenient on your rig, belt or where-ever. Underneath the right UP I’ve got standard 3 chem-lights stowed and a life-whistle attached to my adminpanel tucked away.

Functioning as mule for the squad, my backpack is a warrior assault bag standard equipped with personal liquid container, large emergency-kit allowing treatment of serious injuries (mountaineer version), camera, spare stanags and depending on assigned mission/length of being in the field PIO underneath, basha equipment inside, paracord and spare radio on the outside. The WAS AB is pretty much at the perfect size for a long or two-day in the field assignment. The only downside I find the bag to have is that the main compartment in the back should be way easier accessible. 5.11 and Tasmanian did a good job there IMO in comparison." - MILSIM player from Facebook.

Return to “Gear - General Discussions”