criteria for buying a duty gun

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
perfectskin69
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

criteria for buying a duty gun

Post by perfectskin69 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:46 pm

simple question,what are the criteria for buying a handgun or revolver for duty use as a patrol officer and not swat guy??why you bought the gun you use???
a 1911 would it be the right choice for a patrol man???glock is for everyone???DA/SA or SA only???

Ryan

Re: criteria for buying a duty gun

Post by Ryan » Sat May 26, 2012 5:42 am

DA or SA is very individual and role orientated as with most tactical choices. What do you prefer? What fits you?

An M1911 is a great choice. What calibre? The .45 ACP has great wounding capability and terminal ballistics. The penetrability of material suits a Patrol Officers duties.

The real subject to mention is it's low round count of just 7 rounds per magazine. You must be very economic in the environment as to gain accurate hits during high durress and have superb reflexive reloading skills.

The Glock has it's critiques too. It can be very ergonomic in the 9mm form, with a superior round count for those dominating situations. But so can 10mm pistols.

Must remember: A lot of engagements do not need reloads, most have crappy accuracy! Prolonged ones NEED reloads and high magazine counts.

I believe there a lot of equipment choices which make your gun-fighting skills better. For instance, what holster is to be chosen with your weapon choice? Where do you place your magazines? Do you have a 'belt-order', especially for during gun fights? (I.e. partial magazines go to the back of the belt order***).

Jason Falla talks about it here, 2:30.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

perfectskin69
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by perfectskin69 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 pm

hello after a long period withoute connection!!!haaha!!
first of all now i use DA/SA gun(baby eagle 9mm) i believe 45 acp is now more usefull and with proper high cap mag you have a good capacity with 10 or even 11 bullets in 1911,so im thinkin fro a change from 9mm to 45(in my country only 9,40 and 45 cal are availiable for handguns,no HP and other exotic rounds just classic fmj)
i dont want glock for personal reasons(just im not fan of this gun and doesn't fit in my hand well)
as for accuracy i'm not perfect shooter and i've never been in gunfight but i believe with 45 have better chances for survival and less colateral damages!!

El Freddio

Post by El Freddio » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 pm

If I was ever gonna be a cop, and could pick my piece, I'd go for something proven (I agree that the 941 ticks that box). Apart from that, I'd use a round I was COMFORTABLE with. If you think 9mm is too weak, go for 40 or 45. If you think 45 doesn't give you enough rounds to do the job (important, as a partol cop, it's most likely gonna be your only gun when it's a bad situation) go with a higher cap weapon like the 40 or 9. THe way I see it, the difference between 9, 40 and 45 is not much, and definetly not worth the (generally) 2-4 round loss that you get going for a bigger pistol. They again, the chance I'll have a gun in a situation like that being a civvie is as likely as me being able to use it effectivly (read none :roll: ), so there is my $0.02.
Last edited by El Freddio on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the Armchair Commando :P

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:00 am

I picked my duty weapon. I chose a Sig P226, not my first choice. I would prefer the P220 but, because I work private security in Florida and the state won't allow you to carry the .45 ACP without a waiver from your company explaining why you need it, the 9mm was my fallback. The Sig Sauer weapon system is VERY familiar to me and I'm quite comfortable with it from my time in the Army. Don't get me wrong, the 226 is a fantastic weapon. It fits my hand like it was made for it. I put a good wrap-around Hogue grip on it and I'm happy with the weight in my hand. I know that it has sufficient magazine capacity to satisfy most situations, besides, the fact is that the state requires armed security officers to carry two spare magazines for their semi-automatic weapon so, I have a minimum of 45 rounds on me, anytime I'm working. I've spent a LOT of time on the range and shoot/don't shoot scenarios, I'm comfortable with it. I carry it in a tactical thigh holster when I'm working so, the butt of the weapon is ALWAYS at the end of my wrist. I was just more comfortable with the .45. The HK USP would be my second choice for .45.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Unmarktac

Post by Unmarktac » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:49 am

My criteria would be:

Is it a caliber and model that is common within the department? I would not want to pay for more expensive ammunition, or be unable to use issued ammunition for training or quals. Since I would guess that any department issued service pistol would be below .50, and above .25, the caliber would not be the deciding factor. Still a pistol round.

Same model because, should the need arise, can I use someone else's magazine? Although, from what I have READ, police shoot outs are rarely hundreds of round battles, it would still be important to me to have the ability to use another officers mags and ammo, and for him to be able to use mine. Also, familiarity with the weapon, across the team. I can pick up anyone's gun, and vice versa.

No adjustable sights.

Let me qualify all that by saying that I am not in a position where my life depends on what is issued to me. If I were, maybe I would feel differently.

But IMO, I would compromise in the direction of the team, and carry issue, and try to make up for any shortcomings in the weapon itself by training and familiarity.

Unless everyone is carrying whatever they want lol. Then hell, get the 226 in .357 Sig.

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:16 pm

All of my firearms are govt. property.

I am allowed to carry my 9mm all the time, but i wouldn't buy a service pistol. everyone carrying basically the same pistol has its advantages.

Return to “Gear - General Discussions”