High Chest Pistol Holster, thoughts?

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ryan

High Chest Pistol Holster, thoughts?

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:41 am

When your legs are stuff-free, then your movement is more agile and you can squeeze into a vehicle easier.

It's faster drawing the pistol from chest than reaching it from your legs, when you do draw it you have your support hand up there to block any attacks to vital areas of the body.

From the draw you can face it straight into your enemy, which would be his chest or head in a close combat battle and engage. Instead of from the hip, into his pelvis or lower abdominal area from straight out of the holster, first shots fired.

CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Dramatikk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: High Chest Pistol Holster, thoughts?

Post by Dramatikk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:02 am

The chest holster also better known as the pilot holster, is made for use when in a seated position.

So, yes, when in a seated position the pilot holster is a better choice than the "normal" drop-leg holster. The only down side is that hostiles outside the vehicle will be able to see you reaching for your pistol when threatened. On the plus side though, the pistol draw from the chest holster is faster than the pistol draw with a drop-leg holster when seated.

On a final note. It is near impossible to use a drop-leg holster when sitting in a car ... Ever tried it, Ryan? :twisted: Got two words for you, SLOW & CLUMSY. :lol:

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

jimothy_183
Military
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:28 am

More stuff on your chest = higher centre of gravity = more load on core muscles

The reason why webbing has everything placed around your waist was to keep the centre of gravity low which means that only your legs are under load.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:07 pm

From Tango.

Stationary draw too; does not impeded by the rifle or stock thanks to the positioning of the sling. Meaning sling + pilot holster == ++?

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

seal236

Post by seal236 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:12 pm

90% of guys who roll with a high chest pistol holster are wearing it there for one reason. Well two reasons...

1. They dont know what they are doing,

2. They are in a vehicle. It is easier in a vehicle to get to a pistol than a rifle and it is easier to get to it on your chest than your leg or waist.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:59 am

seal236 wrote:90% of guys who roll with a high chest pistol holster are wearing it there for one reason. Well two reasons...

1. They dont know what they are doing,
Explanation?

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:01 am

He's probablty referring to guys who do it just because it looks cool and don't actually know when it's best used.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 am

Well if you're running it in a vehicle then fine for a vehicle patrol but some of the photos clearly betray SF who are operating in houses. That could be said disembarking to operate, but it's not like you change your gear points during mission so they keep going with it, maybe a personal choice for them. It's all about accessibility. Then it drops to time. Then it drops to specification. Then again some are pistols literally shoved into the webbing and pouches. Maybe out of vehicle it's more about the primary being the main choice. I say this because some of SEALs SEAL buddies are on pictures with pilot holsters. :lol:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 am

Drop-leg versus mid-ride? Any preferences?

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:55 am

Not a fan of the high chest holster unless I'm going to spend a LOT of time in a vehicle. Just not practical any other way, in my mind, especially weapon retention-wise. *shudders* The thigh holster is something I first tried out a long time ago, in the Army, when I was carrying a lot of gear including a long gun. In most security work, it tends to brand you as a "grand warrior" of the mall ninja type. Working as a tactical officer on a site, it sometimes creates an issue with LEOs who don't like the armed security officer in the tactical vest, bulletproof vest, handcuffs, OC, baton, Taser and thigh holster. I do wear it when I'm running a weapon retention class or through a shoot-house.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Ryan wrote:Drop-leg versus mid-ride? Any preferences?
Or both?

:lol:

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am

Hmmm...needs moar guns methinks. :roll:

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:54 am

Uh... I'm.. Uh... Speechless. :oops:
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:04 am

At the image or my comment or both? :lol:

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 pm

jimothy_183 wrote:At the image or my comment or both? :lol:
Both, good sir! :mrgreen:
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

TLS

Post by TLS » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:49 pm

First post gents
In regards to the operator pictured above- to me he looks like the real deal, good kit, not looking like a bag of sh*t.
Where i'm from it's not that uncommon for an operator to carry 2 secondarys, Drivers, Breachers,etc. It is also not a bad option for unit/apartment complexes (SOP's for some) where you don't want the over penetration of a 5.56 or tight spaces where even your H&K can be a bit cumbersome. MP-7 would be a great alternative.
If you look at the photo he has a lanyard atached to his primary ( thigh holstered Glock ). Same drills, stoppage on his primary - drop it on lanyard go for secondary. Bit radical but there you go. My personal preference is for my secondary on my assault vest but at just above the waist line.Just a personal thing, i despise things strapped to my legs. DP's gets you used to the position and it's a pretty natural for me as the movement is just like reaching to scratch your balls.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, good first post. I can't agree more.

With different placement, does that mean the principles slightly change or do they stay the same?

See.

ClearRight

Post by ClearRight » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Drop-leg problem solved!
More guns and bullets make bad guys go away faster,
which in turn makes everyone in the area safer.
- Paul Howe

Return to “Gear - General Discussions”