The 3:1 Rule

Discussions on leading in combat can be found here

Moderator: jimothy_183

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ryan

The 3:1 Rule

Post by Ryan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:01 am

The 3:1 rule, attackers to defenders ratio, implemented for critical analysis and procedural action in an assault estimating that you need at least three soldiers to counter an enemy defender - be it prepared, fortified or defending - for increased violence of action leading to 'overwhelming force' where-by your forces with numerical advantage 'usually win'.

What are your thoughts on such a rule?

Exemplified in room clearance where-by a team usually enters, and where-by one defender can kill a whole team - as has happened - does it still fit? Do we take it as a 'hope' or guideline more than a rule? Does your opponent run out of ammunition on the second man?

The last part... was a joke. 8)

Recommended Reading:
http://onviolence.com/?e=191

(I know we have a topic entitled "Attack Ratios", I thought I'd re-ask the question specifically under Leadership to see if any opinions have changed and what the thought processes are around leadership with increased numbers in condense, semi-permissible environments)
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The 3:1 Rule

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:09 am

As a team leader/instructor, I like to go heavy on everything possible; personnel, weapons, ammo, etc. It's always a balancing act; speed versus extra equipment/personnel. If you go with smaller teams that are more mobile, are you sacrificing needed people? If you don't take ABSOLUTELY everything that you could POSSIBLY need, are you missing something? This is where CURRENT, solid intel is SO important. Knowing how large the interior of the objective is, how it was made; how many armed men can fit into a room comfortably, building materials, so that you can plan your ammo loads, appropriately, etc...
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:49 am

I agree TG. I find it interesting when operations around MOUT hit platoon & company sizes with combined arms. We don't have much in terms of larger operations here on CQB-TEAM.

Well, I specifically re-designed this question around room clearance because often when a fatal funnel is clogged you can potentially lose a whole team, a whole stack. Do you think this is specifically guided towards conventional entries? If we break them down most entries need at least two to four people - buttonhook, criss-cross, wall-flood, what not. For example less traditional entries such as the HTLE, lateral entry require less 'manpower' to be effective against the said enemy. Is it a rule heavily adjusted around what was happening at present? Or is it a backbone for any potential emergency?

If you cannot tell I find 'rules' interesting. For example the 'fatal funnel' rules and guidelines which aren't practiced by every Military, and such leave you wondering - is it a rule? Do other Militaries practice such 3:1 rules? And in terms of casualties, isn't it a 15-30% casualty rate before you break from the entire operation? I'm sure I read something similar somewhere.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:57 am

I read recently about a 10:1 rule in certain areas with below average defences. That's... a lot... of people... and the force-multipliers are going to have fun there! :lol:

tacticalguy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Ryan wrote:I read recently about a 10:1 rule in certain areas with below average defences. That's... a lot... of people... and the force-multipliers are going to have fun there! :lol:
10:1? That'll be all A and E. Ummm.. Rectums and elbows.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Return to “Combat Leadership”