Train, do, teach?

A topic about the aspect of teaching. Lesson plans, teaching styles, essential subjects, subject lists.

Moderator: jimothy_183

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tacticalguy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Train, do, teach?

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:04 pm

I was always taught that was the best way to train people. "Learn it, do it, teach it." With that in mind, however, is there a potential issue with that line of thinking? Personally, I think that oversight in the training and doing stages as well as "in-services" later on are the only way to avoid doctrinal mistakes. I know that there are some whose egos become rather inflated because they're now tactical operators/instructors and feel that they operate in a vacuum and nothing else good can enter. I'm not one of them. I KNOW that there is always more to learn. Any other suggestions?
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Re: Train, do, teach?

Post by Ryan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 am

I think when you train and do, you learn that what has been force-fed into your head isn't the be all and end all. You learn those oversights and inflated perceptions of what is taught, and you can learn to teach either alternatives or the pros AND cons to what you are sharing with others. When you have the one-way, listen to me and learn, system of modules taught in the military and police, then you may skip a lot of potentially important information.

Our short-term memory as human beings can only fit the average of seven items before we either HAVE TO store it in our long-term memory or forget about it, so learning is a larger experience than sitting and listening - it is studying, it is memorizing. It is visual, audible, it is a feeling, it is a smell. You must adopt your senses to it as a student and you must orientate yourself towards it. There are lots of ways to learn - compare it to a topic or component you know of, ask a question in your head and actively listen for the answer within the lesson plan, take key-points and always listen out for the "but" or other word that leads onto important information the teacher wants to tell you.

These forums are a good example of that, I'm sure we all learn but in our different ways. A wall of text does not work for some, they need pictorial references, video evidence, a proof of concept but it's nothing like doing it, feeling it and encompassing all your senses around it.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Training, Teaching and Mentoring”