History: The Gladiators

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

History: The Gladiators

Post by Ryan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:28 pm

"To understand the present, you must understand the past" ...

These are set of sub-topics I'll be adding to look back at history -- Warfare, fighting and trying to closely relate it to Close Quarter work.

There has always been conflict between men and along the evolutionary chain, one controversial example of this is Gladiators.

"History: The Gladiators"

A Gladiator literally means a swordsman, a man with a sword who will fight the given opponent in a bloodsport -- to the death. Gladiators faced all kinds of threats, most of which were unknown until they were in the ring. They fought anything from a human slave with no fighting experience, a Gladiator Champion - possibly with a military background and even animals such as tigers through 'beast shows'.

There were different "types" of Gladiators, like in modern times different roles of Infantry such as an MG versus a rifleman. It is an interesting concepts to have these individual types fight against each other to weigh one another up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ro ... ator_types).

"There is a fascination in the human psyche with violence and suffering"

It may be classified as a 'sporting' event but then again some elements of warfare may be classified as this - they are competitive after all.
They shared common tactical philosophies to warriors of the modern day, and proved themselves as fighters.

It was a mix between visual entertainment and conscious combat. A really interesting topic...

What do people think of Gladiators and how they can influence the modern day warrior? (Influence could be anything: Inspiration, mindset, qualities)
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Breacher01

Re: History: The Gladiators

Post by Breacher01 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:11 pm

Gladiators did never choose to do / keep doing that until they were killed, or in rare cases freed or able to buy their freedom.
Gladiators didn't choose or could deny their opponents.
Gladiators were always confined to an arena when fighting.
The best gladiators came from caught enemy combatants; They didn't have a reason to fight except stay alive.

I can't compare these warriors with today's warriors on an even scale.
I also find the topic interesting, but i know a lot about it already. But I have a hard time comparing them to today's heroes.
Currently western war/CT/Policing is more about chrirugical use of force, compared the the blood-sports roman gladiators forces with the main focus of staying alive.

I am very interested in the likeness you see, where i mostly see differences.

Please go on.

derebaker

History The Gladiators

Post by derebaker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:21 am

Great. Although its mostly political history, plus its pretty ironic that it doesnt have the creation of facebook on there lol.
Мой ресурс всем советую посетить Клик

Return to “Off-Topic”