Question on term "Breach"

Forum to discuss explosive and mechanical entry.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Question on term "Breach"

Post by Ryan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:00 am

I get a lot of people saying "Breach" as in to enter. Even if they are not specifically using anything to breach, you may have an open door. Is this the correct useage of the term?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: Question on term "Breach"

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 am

"Breaching" is making a hole or access point. Entry is the movement through that hole or access point/doorway. Those people are misusing the term, sir.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 am

tacticalguy wrote:"Breaching" is making a hole or access point. Entry is the movement through that hole or access point/doorway. Those people are misusing the term, sir.
Agree 100%. I have also heard some people misuse the term.

I like to define the term breach as: The act of forcefully creating a point of entry.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:44 am

Exactly. The act of creating an entry point, usually using aids. Mechanical, explosive, ballistic or otherwise. Not the act of entering, which is... an entry. "Into the Breach" often confuses this too.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:48 am

I've heard some people argue that "forcible entry" is breaching plus entry (and taking over the place) so you can say breaching to walk in the door. Thoughts?

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Ryan wrote:I've heard some people argue that "forcible entry" is breaching plus entry (and taking over the place) so you can say breaching to walk in the door. Thoughts?
If you walked up to my home, knocked on the door and stuck a weapon (firearm/knife/crowbar) in the face of whoever answered the door and pushed inside, you've just committed a "forcible entry". Seems like someone is trying hard to parse that phrase to their own "tacticool" use.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:01 am

Breaching is the opening of something which should be closed to outsiders.
Experienced breachers try the doorknob first.

Return to “Breaching / Forced Entry”