Moderator: jimothy_183

Dramatikk

Get Control of Your Andrenaline Rush

Post by Dramatikk » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Jack
Law Enforcment

Re: Get Control of Your Andrenaline Rush

Post by Jack » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:45 am

Although the article is not new information. It is presented well and should be read and studied by anyone who is interested in controlling stress in high risk situations.

I thought it funny that the author relates a story about being pulled over and having a major adrenaline rush. Shows me how far I have come in controlling adrenaline. I'm not sure the author is the most qualified to teach this if he can't get control of his own adrenaline, but it looks like he found good information on the subject.

The article is all good information(I skimmed over it.) It seems that the more high risk a situation is the calmer I get. I often find myself humming a tune as I walk up on armed parties and other such calls. Very calm, very relaxed but alert. With that said, I used to get major adrenaline rushes and do not believe myself to be exempt form them. However I'm usually the guy telling my partner(fairly new to the job) to take a deep breath and calm down.

Besides what is mentioned in the article, one thing I think really helps is to have you, "Line in the Sand" moment picked out if possible. I don't believe in playing defense and being reactive(although often you have to). So instead of just waiting for things to happen, I have a lot of 'Line in the Sand" moments picked out.

For instance, if a call comes out where a party is armed, he automatically gets a gun in the face. No matter what if everyone dose not do exactly what I tell them to do on a high risk call, they instantly go in handcuffs. If they want to resist handcuffing(in any way) they automatically get put on the ground. These things help keep you calm, because at some level you know what is going to happen.

With that said, there has to be room for reading the situation and adapting. There is a human element involved.

Return to “Articles”