TCCC Considerations During Close Combat

Moderators: jimothy_183, Ryan

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ryan

TCCC Considerations During Close Combat

Post by Ryan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:19 am

Environmental Considerations

Your workspace and treating environment is limited. You are operating within restricted terrain by way of immediate danger zones and fire zones as well as architectural restraints. Operator and gear placement therefore becomes a priority. If the casualty is in a fire zone, you should try to restrain yourself from entering it as per CUF guidelines. If the casualty can be rescued, they should be pulled out of the fire zone and into cover if possible.

In Close Quarter Battle this may mean a room that has previously been cleared. This is taking a risk. A risk is that the room may have been partially cleared and still needs a reclear. So, ask yourself - do I need to double check this room, wardrobes, potential hiding spaces? The next risk is you occupying the room. Does the enemy have potential access to it? If so, how? Can you defend it while treating or do you need to post someone up?

Medical Considerations

1. The CUF Phase.

Often care rendered in this phase are 'quick-fixes', temporary or quickly done, such as tourniquet application, initial airway adjunct insertion (NPA, OPA). In room-to-room combat this may be difficult. If possible it is best to pull the casualty directly into cover rather than treat on the spot ("on the X"). In room-to-room combat this may only be measured in tens of meters. The only time I would give immediate treatment is if 1. The threat is dead and perceived threats are no longer present, 2. I have cover (multiple angles depending on the case) and 3. The estimated blood loss is enough to worry me during the movement needed to drag the casualty to cover.

On recovering the casualty too. Any enemy threat is increased substantially in close quarters. A grenade can do a hell of a lot of damage for example, in a confined or closed space this increases its risk portfolio, as does an enemy with a weapon who may not need to worry about aiming, taking a precise shot or taking their time.

2. The TFC Phase.

Position yourself the best you can. If you are in a room you may want to position yourself in a corner. A hardcorner in my opinion would be better as you have visual outlook into what may enter, i.e. shadow lines, direct view down a hallway, etc. Your weapon should be positioned where you can utilize it best. Some say that the primary should be tucked away and secondary via a drop-leg is the quicker option. That is an individual decision.

3. The Casualty Care Phase.

Extraction in an urban area may compromise medical care in a few ways: It may be a CASEVAC vehicle with no medical properties which can further help the casualty (i.e. suction equipment, intubation equipment, further medications). Secondly vehicles for extraction are usually ground-mobile and thus moving and loading casualties takes time leaving vehicles static. Any further firefight can lead to MORE casualties. Risk therefore may outweigh benefits. Thirdly operating room-to-room (i.e. in a room-to-room CCP) can be very tight, almost botttlenecking every junction making movement and coordination difficult.

Those are my quick points. If you have anymore, throw them up.
For extra reading: http://www.health.mil/Education_And_Training/TCCC.aspx
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “TCCC/Combat First Aid”