Man-down Drill

Moderators: jimothy_183, Ryan

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ryan

Man-down Drill

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 pm

What's your guys man-down drill?

- Engage immediate threats
- Secure area (all around defence on casualty)
- Medic evaluates SITUATION i.e. drag out, carry or leave on the X
- Treatment [Self-Aid Buddy Care]
- Call for MED/CASEVAC if needed
- ?

If the injured can move, then allow them to move to a safer position or towards you, i.e. if they can crawl.

Tactical Combat Casualty Care. It's a combat-oriented medical course designed for, and taught to, combat arms soldiers so they can provide life-saving medical interventions while still in contact with the enemy, in the absence of -- or in compliment to -- a medical technician (combat medic). The course focuses on common combat injuries, such as penetrating chest trauma and blast injuries, and the emergency techniques required to preserve life over limb -- tourniquets are a focal point.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Man-down Drill

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:04 am

That's pretty much the drill that I learned except for one alteration. "Medic evaluates SITUATION i.e. drag out, carry or leave on the X" We NEVER left a man behind. Even if all we could bring back was their body, their loved ones got our team mate back. Unless it was a Post-Combat Recovery by Mortuary Affairs because of dismemberment. Other than that, we always brought the team member home, injured or dead, then.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:08 am

I meant treat on the X... oops! :evil:

Any good kit you recommend for dragging or carrying? Some say use a sling, others use handles.

Mass Casualty Drill:

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Ryan wrote:I meant treat on the X... oops! :evil:

Any good kit you recommend for dragging or carrying? Some say use a sling, others use handles.
Ahh, okay. I'm fond of everyone on my team being in tactical vests myself, which all happen to have that handy pull handle at the back of the neck.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:04 am

Going to have to add to this the psychological affects of man-down. Calling it over radio can put the morale right down. If you don't toughen up to deal with hits and losses and always focus on the purely winning "power curve" streak then you may not be preparing yourself for reality. "Man down, room 1A" and keep going is the main focus. For instance, let the tacmed deal with it or whatever your SOPs are. You can't hesitate or lose yourself, your goals and objectives. It's got to be a focus, a focus that includes possibilities. Mental rehearsal of such incidents, how to deal with not only a man down but with taking out the threat that took your man out of action.

Especially if it's your friend. His screams. His blood. You have to be able to stay focused - push that anger, fear, sadness into am emotion that will profit you. A state of absolute commitment and readiness, maybe even with the logical equation of patience if needed. Use your attributes to win, don't let emotion eat your thinking capability.

The difference between combat effective and combat ineffective is apparent. If you are hit and can still engage and feel confident, then that should be apart of the solution. Winning should still be at the top of the list even when injured, even when in disadvantage. Competition should be the last slug-fest you want to get into, you should try to make it as easy for yourself.

Return to “TCCC/Combat First Aid”