The Carry

Moderators: jimothy_183, Ryan

The Carry

Postby Ryan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:52 pm

What different carry techniques do you use?

For example:

"Fireman's Carry Technique (Unconscious Subject):

1) Lay the subject on a flat surface, face up, legs together
2) Push his feet (together) towards the individual's hip
3) While directly facing the individual's feet, grab his arms and pull towards you using your own body weight.
[His bent legs will work as a lever]
4) Once the individual's legs are straight and perpendicular to the surface, grab his right with your left one while you turn your body 90º left underneath his torso and pull him until his body is distributed through your upper back.
5) Hook your right arm around the individual's right knee and bring your right hand to his right hand/sleeve while still hooking around his knee with your elbow.
[This will serve as a "strap" so the individual will not fall to the ground]
6) Use your lead foot to bring him up while using the trail foot for balance."

"How NOT to carry someone:

1) Do not bring them up by their throats
2) Do not bash their heads on the wall
3) Do not carry them with the head down
4) Do not bash their heads on the doorway"
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."
Ryan

Re: The Carry

Postby tacticalguy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Depends on the victim's injuries and the environment.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Ryan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Some examples?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."
Ryan

Postby tacticalguy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Are we under fire? Are we behind cover? Do I have other team members available? Is the injury to my team member a sucking chest wound or a lower leg injury?
BTW: All of those "Not" actions you mentioned? I thought that was all part of EIT. :D
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)
tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:05 am

Thats what the extra carry handles on plate carriers are for.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:21 am

Breacher01 wrote:Thats what the extra carry handles on plate carriers are for.

That rear carry handle can help choke someone who didn't have their plate carrier tight enough.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:45 pm

Thats a good point, but in my experiences not a real problem. the person is likely to have more immediate trouble. Those handles are made to drag an injured person into a better spot to inspect his wounds. not to carry someone to a medevac.
Breacher01

Postby tacticalguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:48 am

Have you trained to perform the tactical drag on someone that has been injured and you're trying to get them clear before they bleed out? It can take a lot of effort, especially if they're unconscious and unable to assist. You can easily choke someone by doing that if their vest isn't properly secured.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

tacticalguy

Postby Breacher01 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Besides formal training I also have quite a lot of experience with this scenario.

Scince I do mostly Counter-terrorism and High Risk Warrants, I can only move a casualty to a 'safer' position and apply a tourniquet, chestseals or emergency bandage(s) before I have to focus on the threat again. The distance may be up to 15yards, but usually less. Often we have paramedics and firemen ready for after we secured and swept a building or area for threats and secondary threats.

A high risk warrant usually takes between 5 and 10 seconds before the suspect is cuffed and outside. So first aid can wait in that type of work.

With longer firefights this may differ, but those happen 5-10 times a year aproximately.

After the moving or first aid action the casualty will be in the safe position on their sides with their knees, head and arms to the side, and their airway, circulation and bleeding under control, so I don't see a lot of time for the casualty to choke. Civilians dont usualy wear plate carriers, so we usually drag them by their armpits, if their position and injury allow so. If this is not possible we don't move them.

Keep in mind I don't work in places where longer encounters with the opposition are to be expected.
Breacher01

Return to TCCC/Combat First Aid