Hand 2 hand

Forum to discuss hand to hand combat.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Gkarras

Post by Gkarras » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:30 am

Hey thanks for the info.Actually the instructors did teach me that rolling is important for dodging and acrobatics is for movies,show or sport fighting,but I was just curious.I have a lot to learn..hmph!Well good day guys.

tacticalguy

Re: Hand 2 hand

Post by tacticalguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm

My experience with martial arts started when I was quite young, in aikido. By the time I was 16, I had my own class I was responsible for teaching. I went into the US Army at 18. I became exposed to many different systems there; kempo, krav maga, arnis, systema, sambo, muay thai and, of course, the Army's combatives system. My style of defensive tactics has changed, accordingly. What I teach now is a polyglot of everything that worked for me. What I can say is this: the most effective combatives system for me has been composed of mostly low, short kicks and the judicious use of my elbows, knees and open handed slaps to control resistant behavior. Wearing the heavy assaulter gloves gives your slaps a LOT of power. Wearing all of the gear for an assault is much different than wearing loose civilian clothes, the style is more restrictive but, still effective.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Tutou

Re:

Post by Tutou » Wed May 09, 2012 7:28 am

Gkarras wrote:Just a couple of question have they ever taught you guys how to use knives or disarm knives?
Is low acrobatics such as rolling or sliding to the other side of a table important or did they even teach you?

I was just asking cause I've done many years of kickboxing,muyai thai,judo-aikido and they taught us to roll and do some acrobatics but is this any important in a real life intervention?I mean maybe rolling to dodge bullets but i'm not sure were in the matrix!
There are a lot of moves that you can do if you're up against someone with a knife. No, sliding to the other side of the table is not really important. In fact, I think it's a little dangerous. What happens when the table collapses? You're going to make yourself a target.

I just stick to hand to hand combat tactics like leg sweeps. I'm more comfortable if my attacker is on his back. Makes it easier to disarm him.
Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good. - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:00 am

Disarm knives by controlling the arm, the hand. Pulling back the thumb, controlling pain points within the wrists.

I would say sliding across a table could be useful. Sliding across a bonnet, the same go. But I've never done it.

What was the Army's combatives system like tacticalguy?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 am

I don't recommend basing anyone's fighting style just on U.S. Army combatives, actually. If you're interested though, here is a video of the Level III course that certifies instructors for the Level I combatives course.
That's also how I perform a disarm, Ryan. Attack the joints first and then, pressure points.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:30 am

Nice, I love watching a bit of light milling. You can tell some were trained fighters, and even I noticed a wrestler within that crowd.
Then the women came along and instantly... ARM BAR!!! Impressive.

Mounts, side controls, rolls, outside take-downs. Very nice.

"Learning to fight while exhausted" was a great quote too, especially when you see them getting rib shots and winded.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:36 am

Ryan wrote:Nice, I love watching a bit of light milling. You can tell some were trained fighters, and even I noticed a wrestler within that crowd.
Women can be VERY vicious. I've known a couple of female martial artists that were very SERIOUS when they began sparring and went straight for the throat.
Ryan wrote:Mounts, side controls, rolls, outside take-downs. Very nice.

"Learning to fight while exhausted" was a great quote too, especially when you see them getting rib shots and winded.
You have to be prepared to outlast an assailant, take whatever punishment they dish out and return it ten-fold.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:33 am

tacticalguy wrote:
Ryan wrote:Nice, I love watching a bit of light milling. You can tell some were trained fighters, and even I noticed a wrestler within that crowd.
Women can be VERY vicious. I've known a couple of female martial artists that were very SERIOUS when they began sparring and went straight for the throat.
At least they didn't go for the groin. :lol:

But all joking aside you do not want to be in the way of a pissed off woman. :mrgreen:
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:16 am

Groin shots are pretty good when someone is wearing body armour. Any kind of dirty fighting is good really. :twisted:

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:49 am

Ryan wrote:Groin shots are pretty good when someone is wearing body armour. Any kind of dirty fighting is good really. :twisted:
I'm sorry to offend anyone but, there is no "dirty" fighting in a fight to survive. When you're a kid and you're fighting for "honor" because some other kid is bullying you or just stated that you have frequent sexual congress with the one who bore you? Okay. When you're an adult and you're in situation where lives are on the line? Nope, every time. Kick, bite, scratch, pull hair, whatever you need to do to survive for one more minute.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:15 am

tacticalguy wrote:
Ryan wrote:Groin shots are pretty good when someone is wearing body armour. Any kind of dirty fighting is good really. :twisted:
I'm sorry to offend anyone but, there is no "dirty" fighting in a fight to survive. When you're a kid and you're fighting for "honor" because some other kid is bullying you or just stated that you have frequent sexual congress with the one who bore you? Okay. When you're an adult and you're in situation where lives are on the line? Nope, every time. Kick, bite, scratch, pull hair, whatever you need to do to survive for one more minute.
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
-- Bertrand Russell
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Return to “Hand to Hand Combat”