To Engage or To Disengage, That is the Question

Forum to discuss hand to hand combat.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

To Engage or To Disengage, That is the Question

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:59 am

To Engage or to Disengage... That is the Question!

If we look at the options of we have to conduct in combatives, as combatives in itself may be a mental option rather than a forced position, we find that we have some priority decisions to make upon engaging in a hand-to-hand or melee weaponry fight, engaging with a projectile weapon via anatomical and physiological adjustment or disengaging for the projectile weapon to have effect without being knocked off line to target.

Option One: disengage to regain projectile weapon range.
Option Two: gain a controlling position and utilize a secondary weapon.
Option Three: close the distance and gain control to finish the fight.

If we look at option one it would fit the setting of being door ambushed at grappling range by a melee character or someone with an inoperable firearm. The disengagement method may be to use the doorjamb to force the opponents arms and hands against to disconnect their hold on the projectile weapon. From this position you can pull it back into a position of which to engage, sometimes that being the close combat position as per the close combat drill.

If we look at option two you can easily weigh up that it is in a position within the room now, you have little option for disengaging; for instance you are jammed, one meter in the room and heading towards the threat in the hard corner. The solution is to utilize your secondary weapon; to utilize pistol then remember the 21 foot rule (which can be halved), for instance backpedaling... if you utilize a knife then you have to be the aggressor at this point and go in with violence of action as the playing card.

Multiple tactical problems occur to me, not only as it IS risky behavior but upon striking. How do you deal with body armor, webbing, a battle rig, a helmet and so forth? What are some good methods to counter those? You know it's a lot to think about. Not only this but when you get shot can you still operate? Probably, depending, but not as efficiently.

Option number three; to close with the enemy quite similar to option two but utilizing the weapon at closer range, to me that says use a closer range weapon or prepare for its use such as a melee weapon; a knife, a baton.

Another process of this is if you are disarmed or the action was blocked or negated to some effect. Where do you go next? The disengagement scheme begins to look more promising to mitigate those risks. Anyhow as with all these steps they should be used simply for time-gainers or potential life-saving actions for yourself until the rest of your team flood that room.

It always counts at this point to put yourself out of their arc of fire or get the combatant into it; then comes a multi-weapon engagement or multiple friendlies on this combatant thereby increasing your odds.

What are your thoughts?

For more reads and some reference use:
http://www.warriortalknews.com/2011/02/ ... fight.html
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Tuel ... .Close.htm
http://www.warriortalknews.com/2010/08/ ... istol.html

"The knife is my 3rd weapon system on me. Rifle, pistol and knife. If I have to end up pulling it out, I want it to be big scary, brutal, and cause massive amounts of damage. Just my own style." - Tom Spooner, ex-CAG.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: To Engage or To Disengage, That is the Question

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 am

Good topic!! I'm an aggressive operator by nature. I tend to almost always go right to the third option. If you're successful in gaining control, options 1 and 2 aren't necessary. You have to be supremely confident in your own skill level without being arrogant. Arrogance in this type of situation will not only hurt you but, also your team. Again, back to the concept of non-stop, continuous training and the idea that the words "good enough" aren't in your team's lexicon
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:47 pm

I think the biggest question you ask yourself is DISTANCE. What is it? Distance equates to time, time depends on your skills, gear placement and what the suspect is doing i.e. running at you or away from you. Sometimes option one, to disengage, to break contact, may be a wiser option. I couldn't stand taking another option just to be shot! As you're a bull, if you have the time, you will destroy your opponent with superior mindset and practicalities.

In terms of LE, you would be going for injury sites? Such as the arms, slices as opposed to thrusts.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:15 am

The Combative transition by Trev. Thanks mate!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0uktlniewv8t ... 6-2323.doc

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:48 am

On looking back at this, the rifle butt and muzzle strike are favorable options other blade or hand-to-hand because of the weapon already being there in your hand, allowing split second decision making. At the same time in enclosed spaces it is hard to swing or operate and can be counter-controlled by others.

Return to “Hand to Hand Combat”