Best form of Martial Arts?

Forum to discuss hand to hand combat.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Best form of Martial Arts?

Post by Ryan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:25 am

Hmm... interesting. What is the best form/fighting style within MA?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Re: Best form of Martial Arts?

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:51 am

No such thing as best, like the AK v AR debate all have their strangths and weaknessess.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:28 am

Yup, Jimothy is correct. There really is no BEST because no single martial art is applicable in every circumstance. That's why what I teach now is a mix of the many styles that I've encountered over the years. That way my students are better equipped to act flexibly to their particular circumstances without being locked in to a structured response that may not fit the situation.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 am

Where would be best to start in MA then or do all give you similar basics?

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:39 am

I don't think they are all the same in basics. BJJ is all about grappling while boxing is all about striking.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:42 am

Yeah I started off boxing and went to MMA; hence "similar" basics. I think boxing gave me good basics but I was lost for MMA basics of side control, mounting and so on. I suppose it's just a case of dip your foot into all, test the waters.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:13 am

Ryan wrote:Yeah I started off boxing and went to MMA; hence "similar" basics. I think boxing gave me good basics but I was lost for MMA basics of side control, mounting and so on. I suppose it's just a case of dip your foot into all, test the waters.
That's a really good method. I emphasize to anyone taking a class with me that if they feel "off" after a few lessons, say 10, that they may want to try something else. It really does come down to comfort-ability. If you're comfortable, with the techniques, "execute with confidence!" as I was always told then, that is something you have the potential to excel at. Once you have become comfortable then, you can push your comfort envelope by adding in a different style. I'm not a big believer in styles, personally. I prefer to teach defensive tactics as a strategy at this point. I give my student enough grounding that they can deal with the tai kwon do aerialists or the judoka that wants to go to the mat. That way they have time to create distance and take the attack and thus the attacker, apart.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

roughneck

Post by roughneck » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Well, In a CQB type environment I find that traditional MA will not work. I feel if you want a good foundation in any type of MA/Self defense. One be in decent shape unless you are a 1 blow wonder, Situation awareness whats going on around you. I have tried many different styles , but the one that has worked for me in the real word is Krav Maga. This Form of Self defense was created with one thing in mind "combat" and to win the situation.
I took a seminar a few years back for executive protection and the concept was Called W.A.R (within arms reach) and tho they said in did not come from krav maga there was some techniques that looked like it could have come from it. But very good class and we went ball's to the wall. We had 2 hours with handcuff's, 2 hours with restraints, weapon's retention, H2H, lots of just hard pounding!

Alfa47

Post by Alfa47 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:53 pm

While there is no best form of MA, I've found that Goju-ryu(a traditional Japanese karate school) basically includes everything: punching, kicking, dirty techniques, grappling, basic ground fighting. The ground fighting ends at basic, thus BJJ is handy.
The huge disadvantage of traditional Okinawan MAs is that you won't learn shit in the first 2-3 years. Unlike Krav Maga, the learning curve is incredibly slow, whereas in KM it seems to be very fast.
IMHO it's all personal preference. Goju fits my mentality very well so I do it.

Return to “Hand to Hand Combat”