"Hall Boss"

Moderator: jimothy_183

david hamilton

"Hall Boss"

Post by david hamilton » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:22 pm

I need all the information I can get on the "Hall Boss" technique. The who,what where, when, why and how!

Thanks,
David

Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Hall Boss"

Post by Admin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:44 am

"Hall Boss" technique ?
http://CQB-Team.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/CQBteam
Tactical education and motivation.training info for the soldier that wish to learn the art of CQB.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:43 am

I have heard of the "Hall Boss" being the person directing everything, like a Mission Co-ordinator. I've heard the term used but only in airsoft teams and things like that, all I thought it was, was one lead man controlling multiple teams while on the ground. Also known as 'Proximity Commanders' for the general purpose.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am

I have never heard of the hall boss before, but the first thing that comes to mind,is a double stack of operators going down a hallway with a element leader in the middle who are controlling the speed and witch rooms to clear.
Tactical education and motivation.training info for the soldier that wish to learn the art of CQB.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 am

I've never heard of the term myself but I think I get what it could mean with what Ryan said.

In my mind its close to what Ryan said with multiple teams, each with a team leader and another leader that is in command of all the smaller teams. For example the standard USMC squad:
Squad leader

-----Fireteam leader

----------Fireteam member

-----Fireteam leader

-----Fireteam leader

So with this so called "hall boss" it would be the SL that directs the movement of all 3 fireteams within the building, most likely from the main hallway of the building if one exists (as the name suggests).

All that said though, I don't think it's a good way of doing things but it depends on the competency and motivation of the operators of course.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 am

I found this thread that contains some info about "Hall Boss"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... google.com

david hamilton

Post by david hamilton » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I was told that a high speed military unit was doing it in the U. S. It sounds good for an inexperienced team, but a professional team should not need one. Opinions?

David

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:08 am

david hamilton wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I was told that a high speed military unit was doing it in the U. S. It sounds good for an inexperienced team, but a professional team should not need one. Opinions?

David
Well it depends, it might be direct action - not planned out as much as you would want. Therefore you would probably need one, it's not a bad idea to have one. So long as they know what they are doing and are experienced in that.

In others words it's a last choice really. One man commanding different groups can get hayewire on our end due to him not knowing what the hell is going on. Communications would be a big must, good radios and radio discipline.

Other than that - you want it well planned out before thinking of a Hall Boss.

For an inexperienced team, maybe so, that being the instructor (as they are inexperienced, they need an experienced leader and role model - at least for a short period) at first then deligating resonspibilities to whoever he see's capable for being the Hall Boss. It would be a good experience that is for sure. Maybe make them more confident - good idea.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:09 pm

"Hall Boss"

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 08, 2011 1:06 am

Double column with the Hall Boss in the middle, two people covering him at all times BUT BIG MISTAKE AND BAD TRAINING - he used his firing hand to direct via handsignals, always use the weak hand!

The guy half-way through the video telling the cameraman to move uses his weak hand. Better stuff with a ballistic shield and use of flashlights towards the end, good work. They need to speed it up with point men going past the open doors though.

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Sun May 08, 2011 7:05 pm

BIG MISTAKE AND BAD TRAINING? :?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed May 11, 2011 12:29 pm

BAD HABIT TOO! :lol:

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Wed May 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Ryan wrote:BIG MISTAKE, BAD TRAINING & BAD HABIT TOO! :lol:
If all mentioned above is referred to the use of signaling and directing traffic with the weak hand, then I fully understand this being a big mistake, bad habit ... etc. :P

Talking about the pace of movement down the hallway, I don't think that they should turn up the speed of the travel. Fast is Slow, and Smooth is Fast! 8)

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 pm

Additional info on the "Hall Boss/Rabbit Technique", it is also refered to as the "Hall Boss/Rabbit System":
“Today we’re going over basic entry and room clearing,” Rowe said. “These guys do this a thousand times and they know how to do it, but as a team you’re not a really well-rounded team until you do it a thousand times together.”

Once the Marines get into their building, either by kicking it in, or using one of their many sophisticated breeching methods, they wait for the commands from the “shield.”

“The shield is the ‘hall boss’ who runs the team,” Rowe said. “He’s the man up-front in ballistics from head-to-toe and can take a couple of rounds.”

“I wear a lot more protection than the other team members, so my job is pretty much to get shot,” said Cpl. Eddie L. Tesch, who serves as the SRT’s shield.
Source - http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marines/a/srt.htm

From my understanding the "Hall Boss System" is a pretty basic and a simple way for the element leader to controll the movement of the teams down the hallway ...

david hamilton

Post by david hamilton » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks!!

geryban

Post by geryban » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:11 am

Ryan wrote:he used his firing hand to direct via handsignals, always use the weak hand!

Why? How? Are you sure ? The teamwork built on the good communication. The good communication built on the absolutly obvious and perfectly visible short handsignals. If your strong is the right, how can you sign to your right with your left hand with your M4 in your right? over the EOtech, or under the mag? Or any interesting muppet show? :D Are you sure you give up your right stack because one moment without your trigger?

I dont say allways do it, just if its needed. You know: sometimes something look likes foolish, but if its work... its not foolish :D
WORK HARD, PLAY HARD!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:22 pm

It's foolish if you add these steps with more risk than apparent gain.

Well it's fine cos' he was covered by teammates anyway, a more methodical approach would be to practice with the weakhand, that wouldn't affect communication. I'm just saying if there is a good reason not to use the stronghand in situations then use weak, a good reason TO use it would be what you have mentioned and would be best if someone covered as you did so. :P Problem with that?

There are other ways of doing it too i.e. facial expression, nodding/shaking, shaking the muzzle.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:48 am

What about if you move into a large room and you have multiple inter-connecting rooms, would a Hall Boss be called on then? Are they still called a Hall Boss? It's not a hall.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:24 am

I don't see the need for a hall boss in that situation as a single team leader should be able to co ordinate the team.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:22 am

I was thinking about this and in a dynamic environment it very hard for the HQ/Co-ordinating element to maximize their span of control and keep operators safe when it is a constant GO, are there any tips to maximize leadership ability, communication and co-ordination during these entries?

And is a Hall Boss a TL or the 2IC/3IC? The 2IC of teams do a lot such as ammunition and kit checks, pre-planning, checking over plans, creating actions-on, etc. Therefore what does the TL do when HB takes over? And what if there is a mix of orders or communication?

The Hall Boss is a great tool for lessening the amount of responsibility on the HQ element, but the operator must have a good level of experience to conduct actions within the Commanders intent as due to the plan.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3649144269700 Seen here at 0:25.

Return to “CQB Team TTP/S”