Dealing with 2 deep corners - 1 man entry

Moderator: jimothy_183

Robb

Dealing with 2 deep corners - 1 man entry

Post by Robb » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:09 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to start a discussion:

What in your view is the best way to deal with entering a center fed room with 2 deep / hard corners on opposite sides?

Best regards,
Robb

Alfa47

Re: Dealing with 2 deep corners - 1 man entry

Post by Alfa47 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:57 pm

Slice the pie, peek your head in for one corner, if it's clear then do an entry and focus on the other corner. If it's not clear, crouch and peek for the other corner quickly, then do an entry, clearing the hostile corner. If both corners are hostile, don't clear the room, back out, run away, call in a JDAM and watch the fireworks.
You either to that or you have to ignore one of your corners, risking your ass.

Honestly, the JDAM method is the most effective.
Or you can go full classic '70s Spetsnaz style, you roll through the door, shoot everything, both existent and non-existent.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Yes you can peek. You can shoulder check. You can angle both sides before entry. It depends on what you preference.

The compromise with the peek or shoulder check is that your weapon may not be facing threat. You may have your back to the threat. Angling both sides at least allows you to clear more of the space before moving towards one of them. I've seen videos of guys bending low and popping one side then turning and doing the other. Did not like it. Same with "turtling"... did not like it. I hate to say it but it's unfortunately one of those luck-based parts of CQB.

This is if we're talking all tactics and no kit.
Alfa47 wrote:both existent and non-existent.
:lol:
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Alfa47

Post by Alfa47 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Ryan wrote:I've seen videos of guys bending low and popping one side then turning and doing the other. Did not like it.
That's why I'd rather just peek my head for one corner while staying low, go back out immediately and then do an entry focusing on the other corner just to minimize the risk a little bit.

Robb

Post by Robb » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:24 am

Alfa47 wrote:
Ryan wrote:I've seen videos of guys bending low and popping one side then turning and doing the other. Did not like it.
That's why I'd rather just peek my head for one corner while staying low, go back out immediately and then do an entry focusing on the other corner just to minimize the risk a little bit.

My current SOP would be to pie-off majority of the room (45-70-90-135) from the outside, then position myself in the doorframe to check or engage one corner while standing (keeping the majority of my body covered from the threat), then quickly revert back behind the threshold, do a 180, crouch then check other corner.

What are your views on this?

Alfa47

Post by Alfa47 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:10 pm

Robb wrote:doorframe to check or engage one corner while standing (keeping the majority of my body covered from the threat), then quickly revert back behind the threshold, do a 180, crouch then check other corner.
Why not peek only your head and scan quickly for one corner and then do an entry focusing on the other one? It's way faster and seems less dangerous...

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:54 pm

Depending on the situation...? I'm quite fond of the "kick-the-door-method and roll a couple of M-67s through and step back". Which scenario are we talking about? HVT, HR? Is this a military or civilian/LE setting?
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Return to “CQB Individual TTP/S”