Individual Clearing

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Individual Clearing

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:37 am

How would you personally begin to clear the room?

Examine layout and building type, materials, that can be done on approach to some degree. From that imagine what the rooms will be like, what others are like in the area, look for any kind of observational area like through windows, skylights, door glass.

I think I would have to pick the most likely positions, which would probably be in some type of cover and ambushing the door, and/or the largest area to cover in one sweep:- depending on room layout of course. It may be best to clear one, or even both corners while in the sweep checking the deep corners and other aspects of the room.

I guess a tonne of information would be going through your mind like obstacles, civilian or enemy presence and possiblities. Thus mental preparation before the clear is first and foremost, no matter the time limitations against you.

(3:15) Clears both hard corners while sweeping the other corners and main aspects of the room, then quickly moves on. The 'scream' is pretty funny though.

And what can you use at your disposal to try gain the advantage? Voice, mind, reactions, weaponary?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Dramatikk

Re: Individual Clearing

Post by Dramatikk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:00 pm

First off I've would get my hands on the house layout. I would then count the amount of rooms in the house and create routes to all the emergency exits.

When it comes to the clearing itself, I would search the rooms systematically one by one utilizing the "limited penetration" technique, and use my voice to get in contact with the suspect ... :roll:

Talking about mind set for the clearing, I' not so sure on how this works when you're alone and don't got the "strenght in numbers" mind set ... And I don't think it is too wise to start playing mind games with the suspect/- s, when this can result in suspects making irrasionel decicions ... :?

Anyone else got a comment on this topic?

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 pm

When considering weaponary, it's a no brainer that the more compact the weapon is the better it is to manouver in room clearings ... But if you only got a long barreled rifle like the m16, you should maybe consider using the "Short Stock" method to easier perform the "pie slice" around corners and doorways ... :?

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

RE - EDIT:

Info on the "Short Stocking" technique - http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... rlhMA6wCqg (Skip to page 7)

2:00.

3:40.
Last edited by Dramatikk on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:20 am

Pistols can be another story. If you know your going to fight then you may want to get a full size pistol like a G17 as opposed to something more compact like a snub nose .38 spl.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:34 am

Short stocking has been in tonnes of video and pictures in Iraq Dramatikk, heavily used and with some good feedback; basically instinctive firing whilst in position.

2:00+.

"c. High ready (Figure 3-6)
i. Front sight is just below the eyes
ii. Buttstock is under the armpit
iii. Rotates the stock up (not the muzzle down)
iv. Best suited for the lineup outside of a building, room, or bunker entrance.

d. Low ready (Figure 3-7)
i. Muzzle is below the belt line
ii. Stock is positioned ready to go into the shoulder
iii. Smooth shouldering (don’t jerk)
iv. Best suited for movement inside of buildings

e. Short-stocking (Figure 3-8)
i. Muzzle is pointed forward
ii. Rifle buttstock is rested above or on the outside of the upper arm
iii. Best suited when using a full-size rifle for room clearing or maneuvering through
tight spots

f. Use of sight
i. Avoid getting “tunnel vision”
ii. Look over the sight
iii. Using tip of the rear iron sight for rapid aimed fire
g. Shoulder transfer
i. Alternate hand positions on the hand guard and grip
ii. Lift rifle butt up and transfer to the other shoulder
iii. Rifle sling length may need adjusting"

A few questions: How would you clear your rear? Would you check it every X seconds or clear every room you come across? If the latter, how would you handle a suspect say in a corridor who goes into a room further down the hallway or how would you re-clear the hallway once you clear a room.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:46 am

I am answering under the assumption that you are clearing as an individual.
Ryan wrote:A few questions: How would you clear your rear?
I believe there are two main ways. First is to check over shoulder which is the quick way, second is the turn your whole body around.
Ryan wrote:Would you check it every X seconds or clear every room you come across?
For the first part. How long is a piece of string? Combat is like that, you could take a bullet in the back 2 seconds after you just checked your rear because it just so happens that a BG came out and saw you after you checked.

As for the second part, in Gabe Suarez's book the tactical advantage he will teach you that when you enter a room and clear the first corner you will immediately turn around to clear the other corner.
Ryan wrote:If the latter, how would you handle a suspect say in a corridor who goes into a room further down the hallway or how would you re-clear the hallway once you clear a room.
Do the same thing with clearing rooms when going back into the hallway. The exact same thing is done for all doorways and hallway intersections.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Well I'd like to keep myself on an angle and path of movement that allows me to check my rear easier and the priority areas, possible threat areas, path of which I have came along to prevent any tracking or follow-up. I'd like to use my peripherals more than turning all the way around if I'm more worried about a front-threat. If I do have a contact rear I decide whether to break or not, break would probably involving just purely sprinting rather than putting down fire. If I do decide to take out the threat I turn, I'd prefer to go to crouched whilst turning or after turning at this point incase follow-ups come. Going to ground to hold the area and surprise the enemy may also help - proning can be used as a strongpoint position for a relatively short period of time but enough in CQ to suppress, get a kills, put off the enemy or allow you time to think or begin to break contact.

If I'm in a front-on engagement I tend to go on a lateral path of movement or angled, obliquely, away from the target. I don't head STRAIGHT for them because it's so easy for them to keep up with me then. I've seen some Force-on-Force videos where guys are literally out maneuvered to the point of being one meter off and one side stepping or drifting around them and engaging from behind, always working around the outside, most of the time taking them whilst doing this -- like a martial arts fighter in a street fight, just sweep straight behind them, very fast but this time you have a weapon that doesn't need to be close for engagement so you can literally run and get into any position to get them.

And when you are doing so in a room you try to use target detection as much as possible and just weigh up the largest area or priority area and go with it, you will be doing a 180 to clear the rest of the room anyhow.

As pointman you're basically the man of the hour -- the guy keeping people alive, it's your individual skills and techniques that may inhibit or prevent further negative actions and consequences. Those individual skills whilst working as an adaptive, responsive team is what is making survival happen. I think all members have to have a higher individual standard to keep alive in that kind of environment. "There is no I in TEAM but there is a ME".

Do you think individual skills should be taught before all else? I.e. pie'ing, quick-peek, step-out, so on! There are a lot of small and fine details to work on.
How about lateral or horizontal entries and engagements? Or individual corner clearance - clear one corner and turn or "clear off" the rest of the room before turning in on the entry point to clear the other corner - some do this whilst staying in the same area of the room, others whilst carrying on moving around it.

Return to “CQB Individual TTP/S”