transition to a handgun

Forum to discuss close quarter shooting.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Jack
Law Enforcment

transition to a handgun

Post by Jack » Wed May 07, 2008 2:20 am

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Thu May 08, 2008 1:35 am

A great article on weapons transitions.

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/200509 ... itions.pdf

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:31 am

Seriously? No responses?

birddog
Military

Post by birddog » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:06 pm

The last video showed the shooter with rifle then went to a right handed transition. Unfortunatly he would have failed on a military team. After he fired his pistol, he takes his EYES off the target to Holster his sidearm, a fatal mistake ! YOU MUST KNOW WERE YOUR HOLSTER IS AT ALL TIMES. PRACTICE, PRACTICE and then do it again..........make drawing AND holstering your weapon as natural as breathing.
They say that hard work never killed anyone, but why take that chance ?

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:51 am

Outstanding! A response. Good point.

Now a question. Do you believe in one transition method or several? Also what is your primary transition method?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Have only one standard sop… then learn to deviate from it.

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:45 am

My go to transition is displayed in this video. Check out :59 to 1:02.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?emb=0&eurl ... TVBYlHsIRY

This technique is good for three reasons.

One, it keeps the muzzle pointed at the bad guy, which keeps him under duress.

Two, it keeps the muzzle pointed at the bad guy, or down range, which keep you from muzzle sweeping other team members.

Three, and most importantly it allows you to continue to use your flashlight. Even if you had a light on your handgun, it is not practical to expect somebody to activated it under that amount of duress and it would slow down your shot.

The disadvantage is that you are shooting with one hand. However I think that if you have a sling and use a weapon mounted light, that this is a great technique.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:17 am

Good point, I my self reach for my hand gun immediate, if I have a malfunction on my long gun, and just let it hang in the sling.
I also have a sure-fire light on my handgun, and I get better hits when I use 2 hands.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:48 pm

I always fix my long gun when the shooting stops and clear the stoppage. then I continue with the long gun.

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:16 am

That is definitely the best option. With that said it might be necessary to operate with the pistol and using the long gun as a light source. If nothing else to quickly clear the rest of the room that the initial shooting took place in. But I agree, fix the long gun as soon as the immediate threat has been taken care of.

srtunit576
Law Enforcment

Post by srtunit576 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:04 pm

birddog wrote:The last video showed the shooter with rifle then went to a right handed transition. Unfortunatly he would have failed on a military team. After he fired his pistol, he takes his EYES off the target to Holster his sidearm, a fatal mistake ! YOU MUST KNOW WERE YOUR HOLSTER IS AT ALL TIMES. PRACTICE, PRACTICE and then do it again..........make drawing AND holstering your weapon as natural as breathing.

You said it, no doubt!!!!!! Awesome
Officer Reyes
"Semper Fi"

tgace

Post by tgace » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:54 am

I'm late on this post...I know. Just thought I would contribute a little vid my buddy did of me dry practicing for blog post.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tgace334#p/ ... N5zxJoKdhk

I wasn't going for "blazing fast" for instructional purposes...just getting my alibi in right off the bat. :wink:

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 am

I loved the tap rack with the pistol at the end of the drill. A mark of a professional if I ever saw one. I have been doing that for years when dry firing. So many people just rack the slide and don't tap the magazine, robbing themselves of a training opportunity and building bad habits.

Ryan

Re:

Post by Ryan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:09 am

Jack wrote:I loved the tap rack with the pistol at the end of the drill. A mark of a professional if I ever saw one. I have been doing that for years when dry firing. So many people just rack the slide and don't tap the magazine, robbing themselves of a training opportunity and building bad habits.

Thumbs up for this one.

Try the foxtrot drill:

Great transition:

I like the use of mag pouches with flaps for a more military demonstration, very fast.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Dramatikk

Re: transition to a handgun

Post by Dramatikk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Looks like the guy on the last video have had training with Magpul... I can sense it by the way that guy holds the rifle, cause I have never seen too many people utilize that type grip on the hand guard. :)

By the way, nice videos Ryan. :wink:

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:16 am

Dramatikk wrote:Looks like the guy on the last video have had training with Magpul...
He probably has, he works with Redback One and Blackwater - they do some great courses. Ex-SASR so the skills are all refined. Good grip for operating the light as well, depending where it is.

Thank you, I have many vidoes up my sleeve!

CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

badger

Post by badger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 am

I hate that looking on the holster when he put gun in it.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:26 am

birddog wrote:The last video showed the shooter with rifle then went to a right handed transition. Unfortunatly he would have failed on a military team. After he fired his pistol, he takes his EYES off the target to Holster his sidearm, a fatal mistake ! YOU MUST KNOW WERE YOUR HOLSTER IS AT ALL TIMES. PRACTICE, PRACTICE and then do it again..........make drawing AND holstering your weapon as natural as breathing.
badger wrote:I hate that looking on the holster when he put gun in it.
Looking At Holster When Reholstering - Mistake or Advantage?

Food for thought?
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

badger

Post by badger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:41 am

Yes, one point of view depend on enviroment, situation and behavior pf suspect. For me is treat until the suspect isnt in jail or leave for another unit or authority. When I want secure someone and pointing a weapon on him, is just a psychological issue,you cant shoot unarmed person, typicalsituation with drawing a baton and holstering weapon. Two operators and several suspects,one covering and second cuffs. Everyday picture in drug houses,they are trying fight and escape, thank you, I dont need hepatitis C, or hiv when some guy beet me to the leg when I Actually look down, and lookingfor my holster.
Its happened.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:16 am

I use a Safariland tactical holster Model 6005.. I dont need to look at the holster with this model :wink:
http://CQB-Team.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/CQBteam
Tactical education and motivation.training info for the soldier that wish to learn the art of CQB.

Return to “CQB Shooting”