CQB Trigger Control and the Compressed Surprise Break

Forum to discuss close quarter shooting.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

jimothy_183
Military

CQB Trigger Control and the Compressed Surprise Break

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Reference this page, the section about trigger control. I gather that it talks about the use of a compressed surprise break over an open ended surprise break which can be explain by the video at the end of this post.

What are some tips to pick up speed in a compressed surprise break? Dry firing seems to be the answer but there must be more to the answer of dry firing than that.

Personally when I dry fire as well as when I live fire I get stuck in the mental trap of slowing down too much on the trigger when I know I can be faster on the trigger. Perhaps it may have something to do with an obsession on precision?

semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

tacticalguy

Re: CQB Trigger Control and the Compressed Surprise Break

Post by tacticalguy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:08 am

Dry firing is a good exercise. The best little exercise that I've found is a timed exercise where you dry fire 2-3 times in a 5 second period while holding a penny on the barrel, just behind the front sight. Try that. It discourages what Mr Cooper was referring to, the "pushing" of the round. When you get up to 4 times in a 5 second period without losing the penny then, go to the range.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:41 am

Interesting concept. How do you go about recycling the action without dropping the penny though?

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:46 pm

jimothy_183 wrote:Interesting concept. How do you go about recycling the action without dropping the penny though?
Carefully. :D :D
I wrote that when I was sleepy and headed to bed. :? :roll: All I can say is a mea culpa. Apparently, I was thinking of the penny drill in response to your post while I was drowsily composing a reply. I have done the penny drill many times. It's an excellent tool for over-riding the bad habit that we can all have of jerking the trigger on the first round. At the same time, I've spent a lot of time dry firing repeatedly with the weapon broken down like so,
20141115_123025.jpg
20141115_123025.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3513 times
then, place a penny forward like so,
20141115_123806.jpg
20141115_123806.jpg (976.01 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Dry firing is very interesting that way. Then, after you have gotten to to the point where you can meet the standards in my last post, go to the range. Sorry, again. I thought that I was being coherent and forgot that you all couldn't read my sleepy mind.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Wow, those were terrible pictures that I posted as illustration. :shock: Sorry guys. :oops:
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 am

Haha it's no biggie TG. I have used the coin trick before and I think it's a very useful diagnostic tool but even with that I have the tendency to slow down too much and take more time than necessary to make a combat accurate hit.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm

I understand what you're saying. All that I can say in response, is exactly what I've heard from every firearms instructor that I've ever known; "shooting straight trumps fast shooting," Making a straight, accurate shot is my number one concern. Unless you're into the whole "spray and pray" attitude, that is.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

Return to “CQB Shooting”