Finger Discipline

Forum to discuss close quarter shooting.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Finger Discipline

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:19 am

Where should the finger sit on entry? Where should the finger sit moving into a target room (with known BGs)?

For example with a G/CTAR the finger sits behind the trigger making it easily accessible to the trigger. Other platforms do not allow this. Some place their finger along side, lateral to the trigger.

Example with some platforms the finger can be placed behind the trigger.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: Finger Discipline

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I was taught to keep my finger off the trigger entirely until I have a target and intend to fire.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:55 am

tacticalguy wrote:I was taught to keep my finger off the trigger entirely until I have a target and intend to fire.
Taught to versus what you actually do? Or do you stick to this rule at all times?

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:47 am

Ryan wrote:
tacticalguy wrote:I was taught to keep my finger off the trigger entirely until I have a target and intend to fire.
Taught to versus what you actually do? Or do you stick to this rule at all times?
LOL. You picked up on that, huh? Again, it all comes back to the mission parameters. If we're doing an SOA where we know that all the occupants in the structure/house are BGs and armed... I'm ready to rock and roll from the word go. My only concern then is overshooting. That's where knowing where your team mates are and fire discipline come in handy.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:08 am

This is true.

Where do you place the finger? On the slide, frame, trigger guard, trigger, in front of behind the trigger. There are many areas to place the finger. I've heard some people even say, "On the ejection port. The goal is to keep your trigger finger high and away from the trigger until you've made the conscious decision to fire." I find this very... silly. Good for a shooting drill, maybe.

"On the slide" doesn't work for me on some guns (e.g. a bolt action rifle with the knob in the way or a revolver with the cylinder in the way). "On the trigger guard" doesn't work for small hands which have to stretch to get the finger behind it. Therefore increased risk of slipping into the trigger. On that note, going from resting safety position to engaging can prevent slapping the trigger. A position which allows for comfortable, smooth movement to the operate the trigger means you don't jerk as much as you could potentially with other resting positions.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 am

Any differences for "IR discipline" when operating IR lasers or similar?

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:56 pm

If you use devices with a tactical switch you don't control those with your trigger finger do you?

I work in populated area's, and 95% of the time I don't intend to shoot, not even the suspect. Recently someone on another team lost balance in a stairwell, and emptied half his hk mp5 into the wall, he was ofcourse suspended from duty

Safety and trigger control are things to take serious, the gun doesn't care where you point it at.

Return to “CQB Shooting”