Pump the Shotgun - Myth or Reality?

Forum to discuss close quarter shooting.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Pump the Shotgun - Myth or Reality?

Post by Ryan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:17 am

You've heard it directly from the horse's mouth. Travis Haley states that pumping the shotgun is intimidating, that I agree. He says it can scare away intruders, that I agree. But how applicable is it?

I was reading Reddit, and I found this conversation...

#1: "However, I like the fact that the sound alone of a shotgun being cocked in the dark is potentially enough to do the job of scaring away intruders"

#2: "You really need to put some more thought into this BS tale. Relying on sound to deter intruders is just a dumb idea. You are grabbing a firearm to deal with a potentially life or death situation. You are simultaneously letting them know you are there, armed, and giving away your position. If they are willing to fight it out, you just showed your hand so to speak."

#3: "What is cocking a gun hollywood style? I advice chambering the first round the same way you do the second, third, fourth, etc, rapidly and with authority to prevent short-stroking. If that adds too much time to your manual of arms, you shouldn't have purchased a pump action to begin with. Thousands of cops carry their shotguns 'cruiser ready' condition. Doesn't seem to bother them any. Shotguns are extremely powerful, with each round of 00 buck loosed the equivalent of at least a 3 shot burst from a submachinegun. Deterrence happens all the time. The chances of needing 9 rounds instead of 8 is vanishingly small. In fact, I've never heard of a case of home defense where anyone ran a shotgun dry. Are you really preparing for the kind of massed attack on your home that would require that extra round? If so, you should probably be spending more time thinking about some lifestyle changes, rather than what you're going to do when your last shell has been fired."

#1: "Sure, but I'm not saying I would count on the sound scaring someone away. But if it stops us from having to take a life, then that's a plus. I recognize we still have to be ready to actually kill or be killed."

A circle argument, I know. He asks the question, it is answered based on reasonable doubt of its application and credibility - reliance, when in fact productive aspects should way beyond simply a "sound". Yet he goes back to square one that, "Maybe it will help me". Progressing from this argument they went on to talk about guns... and accessories, instead of the premise of the whole 'get a gun to defend my house and how do I do that?' thing. So, what are your thoughts?

Mine are the negatives and positives. 1. You often give away your position if it is not already known, i.e. bedroom, gun safe location. 2. It may be a good deterrent but I have no experience with that. That leaves me slightly less neutral, because it's very situational, and leaning more towards being as silent as I can and deterring when I situationally understand what's going on. Phone the cops first, anyone?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: Pump the Shotgun - Myth or Reality?

Post by tacticalguy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:44 am

My next firearm purchase will be a Remington 870 Tactical. I'm comfortable with that model. If someone were to enter my house without my permission? I have two elderly folks living here, too (my girlfriend Deb's parents). I would probably go for my Sig P226 before the shotgun, honestly. I present a smaller, less defined silhouette with the pistol at tactical ready as I'm clearing the house versus the shotgun extended silhouette. If I'm in a situation where I have to shoot in a precise fashion; ie, where the intruder is standing near or threatening one of my family members, I prefer the pistol. I like the shotgun and I'm proficient with one but, unless it was just me and my girlfriend, I don't see using one for home defense. My girlfriend knows I'm a good shot and I can count on her to keep a level head. Her parents are 94 and 92. They would panic.
Now, to the question of racking the pump? I prefer not to give away my presence until the last possible second.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

ClearRight

Post by ClearRight » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:01 am

While Mr Haley states that a shotgun can be used to scare someone, I also believe he says something along the lines of, "I don't use a shotgun to scare someone - I use a shotgun to shoot someone." Which I think is close to what most of us on here think about shotguns. IMO, if you willfully enter a situation where you may have to use a firearm and don't have it ready for use, you're doing something wrong.
More guns and bullets make bad guys go away faster,
which in turn makes everyone in the area safer.
- Paul Howe

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 am

That's the quote I was thinking of!
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:20 pm

ClearRight wrote:While Mr Haley states that a shotgun can be used to scare someone, I also believe he says something along the lines of, "I don't use a shotgun to scare someone - I use a shotgun to shoot someone." Which I think is close to what most of us on here think about shotguns. IMO, if you willfully enter a situation where you may have to use a firearm and don't have it ready for use, you're doing something wrong.
Its possible you have a shotgun at home without a round chambered. its a waste of ammo capacity, but possible.
Chambering a shell might scare some, but it gives your position and firepower away.

We carry 12g guns with an empty chamber so we can manually chamber a specific round, for breaching or less lethal use. The only reason we use 12 gauges is the variety of special shells it can fire.

Return to “CQB Shooting”